In LA, which is bigger LSU or the Saints?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ohio1317, Feb 6, 2010.

1. ohio1317

ohio1317 Freshman

With the Super Bowl coming up, I got to thinking a little about the differences between college football and the NFL. I know both have massive followings, but that the NFL is much bigger on a national scale. In Ohio though, I'd say Ohio State has a much bigger following than the Browns and Bengals. This is admittedly all coming from someone from Columbus, but I think if you look at the state as a whole, it still holds true even if it’s not true in all areas.

I was wondering how it is in SEC country. All else being equal, in a normal season, is there more buzz for the Tigers than the Saints? Thanks.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

LSU by far but the bandwagon is larger for the Saints than it has ever been before. That is a given though considering the Saints history.

3. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

LSU easily, half of the so called Who Dat nation weren't even Saints fans until about 3 months ago.

4. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

LSU is generally the bigger fan favorite, which has has a history of success. We had rough decades in the 70's and the 90's, but good success in the late 50's, 60's, and 80's, and of course the last decade has been our best ever.

The Saints have not traditionally enjoyed success, until the last decade.

I enjoy the college game a lot more, it seems less tainted by big money. The big money goes to the pro's heads, and what happens off the field can be inspiring in some cases, but can also be very sad in more cases than happens in college kids.

5. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

i guess you didn't see tiger stadium in the mid 90's when we would lose to UAB.

6. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Well I was born in 86, I fully remember the loss to UAB, but I hadn't yet been to a game at TS. Tulane 00 was my first Tiger Stadium experience.

I will say though, that Louisiana is known for bandwagoneers (see Hornets, Saints, LSU) but those who are on and off bandwagons care more passionately about LSU even when they are bad then they do the Saints.

Funny though how everyone is a Saints fan now.

7. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I have to agree. I've seen more people in Saints gear this season around BR than I've ever seen before. That's not to say the Saints don't have their fan strongholds in and around NOLA, but overall LSU is bigger, and it ain't even close.

8. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

But, but, but, no city is more connected to their team than New Orleans!

Biggest crock being spouted by the media this year.

9. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

I am a big saints fan but they still are second behind LSU.

10. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

You don't think that's true?