Inside the NFL and David Woodley

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeafValleyBatnR, Jan 23, 2004.

1. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

If any of you have HBO I would recommend watching it this week. They did a great story on David Woodley and his football career. I do not have a link to a story if someone can find it it was titled DAVID WOODLEY A BRIDGE BETWEEN TWO LEGENDS. Meaning he was the QB between Bob Grease and Dan Marino.

I never watch Inside the NFL and I just happend to turn the Channel and heard them talking about David and I watched it actually made me tear up.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Thanks for the tip. I will certainly watch it.

Woodley had the damndest rookie year I've ever seen in the NFL. Signed to be a training camp fifth QB, he ended up starting and played the season with the kind of quiet confidence not often seen in a youngster. He was the first rookie QB to take a team to the Super Bowl.

3. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

I saw it. Very tragic. I remember him playing for us and thought he was a really good QB. Sad, obviously he could have had a great career in the NFL.

4. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

He was also the youngest QB to ever start in a Super Bowl!

5. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

I remember him very well. He and Steve Ensminger would share QB duties. I remember during the Ole Miss game one year Ensminger lined up at QB and Woodley at tailback (or it was the other way around). The Ole Miss defense was freaking out. I always thought they should have saved that play for the Alabama game.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

He might have had a good career with the Dolphins if Dan Marino hadn't fallen so low in the draft that the was still available for Miami with a late first round pick. I still remember watching Marino in his first pre season game and thinking "Man, this guy is Awesome." Right then I knew Woodley's days as the Dolphin starter were over.

At LSU Woodley was the "option, running QB" and Ensminger was the passing QB and the fan favorite. It surprised the hell out of me when he became the Dolphins starter. I wish it would have turned out better for him.

7. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

Actually, Woodley was lining up at slotback in that formation. Charlie Mac pulled that trick out of the bag a couple of times. I remember against Tulane in the Superdome, Woodley came out of the huddle and lined up in the slot and Jerry Romig, the super pro-Tulane PA announcer in the dome was nearly screaming "WOODLEY IN AT SLOTBACK! WOODLEY IN AT SLOTBACK!" as Ensminger was calling the signals! Typical Tulane stunt.

8. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

That's it...Hell I was only 11 or 12 at the time.

9. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I was and still am, (to a certain degree) a Dolphin fan and I was
    so happy and proud of LSU and the Dolphins when he was there.

After Dan got there I just don't remember or have lost track on what happened to David Woodley after that.

Could someone enlighten me?

Dan Marino is my favorite QB of my era though, he was just amazing to watch.
    He could make any pass play look easy, like a layup....