Interesting ASU information

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MarcusQuinn, Aug 1, 2005.

1. MarcusQuinn

MarcusQuinn Founding Member

Got this from a seemingly level-headed, informed ASU fans post on the ASU board. Actually, they all seem pretty realistic over there. Oregon State gave them hope, but I think the lackluster performance last year will only serve to motivate every LSU player and fan. Anyway, here is interesting info. about ASU on the road. They have really struggled against some weak competition:

Coach Koetter's teams have shown an inability to win on the road since he got here in 2001. For example, his teams went 0-4 on the road in 2001, 3-3 in 2002, 1-5 in 2003, and 2-3 in 2004. That's a combined 6-15 record on the road in four year's at ASU.

If you further break down the road victories, then you will see that we are fortunate to have won some of those games. For example, in 2002 we won at San Diego State 39-28. ASU had to rally from a 22-0 deficit to win this game after Andrew Walter replaced an ineffective Chad Christensen at quarterback. We also had to rally from a 21 point deficit to beat Oregon 45-42. The other win in 2002 came in Tucson, when the Sun Devils had to rally in the forth quarter to beat the Wildcats 34-20. If my memory serves me right, we were losing 20-13 at the start of the forth quarter.

In 2003, ASU had to drive 61 yards in the last 36 seconds to score on the last play of the game to beat a bad North Carolina team 33-31. I know we got royally screwed by the referees to keep this game close but that's a very unimpressive road win if you ask me.

Finally, in 2004 we had solid road wins over Northwestern and Oregon, only to be followed up by blowout losses to USC 45-7, and California 27-0. Then there was the disaster in Tucson (losing 34-27 to a bad U of A team that had only scored over 20 points twice in ten previous games, they manage to put up 34 on our team). Like it or not, Dirk Koetter coached ASU football teams have stuggled mightly on the road since he's arrived in Tempe. I'm making the trip to LSU, I only hope that ASU will represent themselves and the Pac-10 as well as Oregon State did last year (with the exception of I hope ASU can actually make an extra point). Sorry if this post seems somewhat negative, but I like to deal in reality. Go Sun Devils!