Iowa

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by locoguano, Dec 16, 2004.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

In case someone wants to talk about something other than nick saban.. Iowa.. your thoughts...

2. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

yea, i definitely want to talk about somehting else, LSU-Iowa is lookin to be a great matchup, i have LSU winning 24-14, a defensive matchup, LSU will probably run the ball down Iowa, wear them down, and open up the passing game. i don't think Iowa will get much since they have no running game and will be forced to pass. But LSU has struggled with teams that can pass the ball (UGA,Aub, UF). But if we can stop their run, we should be able to control the ball and the game

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Statiscally we are better than Iowa in all phases of the game except for about 3 or 4 so on paper we should beat them up. Of course we have all seen what our team has done this year and that is to show a propensity to commit a turnover or 2 early, fall behind on the scoreboard and have a have field position problem. Will we have the turnover problem solved for this game, I'm afraid we won't because of the players being a little rusty. So I see the game as a nailbiter but I think with Iowa's complete inability to run the ball against our defense, as they have shown against almost every D they have played this year, that we win by 10-17 points by dominating the second half.

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Well remember LSU vs Illinois another Big 10 School and all the Big 10 fans where saying we have never seen a Big 10 school and Illinois is undefeated, and big 10 football this Big 10 football that.

What was it 34-7 at half ?????

Wont say that wont happen again, but personally assuming the Saban issue is resolved (IE he is staying) if LSU plays the game it played against Arkansas and UF, Iowa has little chance in this one.

But hey I am a bit biased.

5. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

the difference between this passing team and a team like georgia, is that they have no running game at all.. lsu will t-off on the blitz all day... i feel bad for their qb... as long as LSU knows when to check-off when Iowa runs max-protection.

6. Scothawk

Scothawk Freshman

Blitz away...

The Hawks have been blitzed all year long. That will be nothing new.

I do have great respect for LSU and Nick Saban though. The thing that worries me most is your defensive speed. The Hawks don't have a lot of guys who will blow by you on offense, and as noted we have had much trouble running the ball this year. I can only hope that having a few weeks rest and allowing our o-line to gel further during bowl prep will help to some degree. We have to at least be able to threaten to run the ball to keep your defense somewhat honest, but as noted above, every team we have played this year has blitzed the daylights out of th Hawks and yet here they are at 9-2. Believe me, many Hawk fans are still scratching their head wondering how this team won a share of the Big Ten Championship, with all the the injuries, lack of run game etc they have had to deal with.

I'm not one to blow smoke, but I really believe Drew Tate is the real deal. Although I have no doubt that a team as well coached as LSU's will gameplan for him, and most likely put a spy on him the entire game.

As far as your offense versus Iowa D. Only one team has run well against us this year. Minnesota. They did a heck of job with their O-line play to really take apart our defensive front.

But, just like LSU, the Hawks are a very well conditioned team, and know how to play for four quarters to wear down an opposing team.

i really see this game coming down to Iowa's offense versus your defense, and those pesky turnovers.

One thing that hasn't been discussed is LSU's special teams.....how are you guys on special teams? Do you have a good kicker?

7. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

Do we have a good kicker . . .HA!

8. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Good points

Iowa will have a fantastic day scoring 14 points against LSU's defense. If only Iowa actually had some type of running game, they might keep it close.
    LSU will respect Tate and will come after him early and often ... ask Jason White, Heisman winner about LSU's defense ... he's still trying to figure it out

But there's not much to figure out about LSU ... best speed and power team in America ... not much finesse this year ... we epitomize smashmouth FB

LSU's special teams are solid and should negate Iowa's Top punt return game, I hope.

Every game comes down to turnovers ... Iowa will need a few to stay in this game ... especially If Iowa is shut down early on offense.

LSU should score more than 24 ... Iowa, I expect 14 ... we'll see

We have a funny saying round LSU ... Speed Kills, Call the Coroner

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Our Kickers are legendary, I can't believe you haven't heard of either on eof them. That's right, we have 2 legendary kickers, both of which have one hell of a tie making extra points. One of them as stepped and become a pretty good field goal kick though not as accurate as your guy I think. Your guy is deadly inside the 40. So Iowa has an advantage. We may have an advantage on the longer FG's though. I did see you issed 3 extra points this weird ass season too.

Our net punting was better than Iowa's so I feel comfortable there, he's also our field goal kicker. He doesn't punt to many long ones but he also doesn't give up hardly any return yardage.

We won't put a spy on Tate IMO. We have played a few running QB's since Saban has been the coach and Jones of Arkansas 3 times and we never put a spy on him. Saban said he doesn't like to do that because it changes everyone's responsibilites. If the players stay in their lanes and do not over pursue we should handle that pretty good.

And we do real;ize that you guys are 9-2 and a good team, we've won with D and so have you guys.

10. Mohawk

Mohawk Freshman

I don't think it is the punt return game that should concern LSU. I doubt Hinkel is going to run by anybody for the touchdown. Where Iowa excels in special teams is blocking kicks and punts. Somehow, someway, they seem to get through the line. It is unrealistic to expect a kick or punt to be blocked in this game, but we are no longer surprised when they do.

As far as Tate goes, if he can get outside the tackles, he is a special player. When he is forced to stay in the pocket, he is succeptible to have passes knocked down. We like him on the run. I am sure Spears will make him sweat. Also, Tate doesn't start well, that could be a problem. LSU probably won't be as forgiving as Wisconsin was.

As a Hawkeye fan who knows LSU only through what they have said on these message boards, this is why I think Iowa can (stress can) win:
    1. Run defense- Minnesota was the only one to solve it. It doesn't sound like your oline is as talented, and Maroney and Barber are terrific players.
    2. Turnovers- It sounds like if Iowa's front four can pressure Randall, he is prone to turnovers. Iowa will rarely blitz, so there will be 7 in the backfield looking to grab a pass. If you play the short passing game and do it well, we are in trouble.
    3. Iowa Running Game- While none of us like the idea of having our 4th string RB featured, Iowa fans will tell you there is a big difference between Simmons (4th), and Brownlee (5th). I think LSU will have to at least slightly respect him, he is not too bad.

I think this is going to be a great game, and I don't think it will be more than 7 points difference. It can go either way. No matter what happens, we are proud to be playing you guys and we hope you will find us a worthy opponent.