Is Dooley serious about this "umpire" nonsense ?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Gold Nugget, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Gold Nugget

Gold Nugget Veteran Member

Tennessee was set and on their side of the field when Hebert snapped it. What is this guy talking about ? I know he's sick about the ending and don't blame him. But if he's honest with himself, he'd have to admit that had the infraction not been called, Tennessee would have "stolen" one just like he feels LSU did.

Now IF Tennessee had realized their mistake and two guys had frantically run to the sidelines and gotten flagged for "offsides" a yard or two from the sidelines, yea, that'd been lame and grounds for griping.

I'm not excusing for one iota, Miles, Crowton, Ensminger (any coach associated with our offense) or Jefferson's actions on the penultimate play. But Dooley trying to whip up this frenzy about "what the officials are supposed to do" is just garbage.

2. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

I know he's upset, I can understand why.

But they had 13 men on the field. That's damn near as inexcusable as Miles's blunder.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Not sure what he is trying to argue.

When play is frantic like this, what does he expect the ump to do?

Umpire: "Hey Mr. Dooley, you have 13 men on the field currently, and it' probably because LSU just subbed out about 3 or 4 players and caused you to be confused. You want to take 2 players out before we snap the ball? Well actually it doesn't look like LSU's QB is smart enough to snap it, you just might want to see if the clock just runs out on LSU first."

Ain't happenin', capt'n.

4. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i think i said it in another thread, but i will say it again. both coaches tried to give the game away. dooley just tried to give it away last so succeeded.

i thought his time out on defense was not the brightest move in the world. our offense was rushed and could have easily fallen apart then. he gave us time to regroup and get a play called in. we tried to give it away with the substitutions etc. but his 13 men on the field was the final error so the one that decided the game.

nothing really to argue. that last minute was a cluster all the way around.

5. Ahab the Arab

Ahab the Arab Veteran Member

It was a very unusual game ending. LSU’s infamous HC and offensive staff, the laughing staff of the country, were in the midst of blowing another game through gross incompetence after a miraculous comeback drive, and LSU’s disorganization caused the young Tennessee defense to become confused. Then when T-Bob saved the game by hiking the ball before the clock ran out, the penalty enabled LSU to steal the game leaving a very bitter taste in the mouth of Dooley, and it’s kind of ironical that LSU’s ineptness caused Tennessee to become inept.

However, this obvious incompetent mismanagement of the end of the game by Miles’ staff again should not be dismissed or forgotten. Indeed, I can’t think of another head coach ever in history that had two gross incompetent game mismanagements in his career. He also almost had one in that 2007 Auburn game as well. This guy is the luckiest coach in America, but unlucky for LSU and its fans, he is the HC of LSU.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Very nice post.

Well said.

And trust me. It won't be forgotten. Ever. Check out the 6 dozen threads started since the end of the game.