Is Jarmarcus Russell another Aaron Brooks?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by fanatic, Oct 8, 2006.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Before you flame, this is just a question I'm posing to gather other opinions. Here are some key similarities I've noticed:

1. World of talent, but doesn't always make the best football decision
    2. Is not necessarily poised when things aren't going well
    3. Key turnovers at critical points in the game
    4. Not a natural leader
    5. No passion for the game

I take no pleasure in dropping the 'Aaron Brooks' label on him. He's had some great games for us and led us to some great comebacks. But we've seen his inconsistent play time and again against the quality teams on our schedule and you can't help but notice.

Maybe I'm being unfair. Maybe the lack of a running game this year is forcing him to carry the team on his shoulders and he's not cut out for that. We moved the ball well throughout the game yesterday, but couldnt capitalize when we needed to. Thoughts?

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

No but you really blew your argument here
    "World of talent,"

Brooks has very little talent.

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Well, most players look to JaMarcus as their leader. To compare his passion with that of Brooks' is a little rediculous. He shows tons of emotion when things go well. Whta do you want him to do when something goes bad, cry like a 3 year old?

4. fanatic

LOL. Maybe I should change that to 'strong arm'.

5. fanatic

I don't think the players respond well to him to be honest.

6. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Thw players I know would much rather have JMAR in he game compared to Flynn. They may not respond well to him, but at least they have the guy in the game that they want to play with.

7. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I'm not really sure. He definitely has a lot of good qualities, strong arm, hard to bring down, good presence (size) on field, he does seem to care- I can't say he doesn't have a passion for the game, I've seen him get mad at himself like he wants to win.... Leak's demeanor is pretty cool, calm, and collective too.

BUT, I like the fire Tebow brings and the excitement he elicits from the crowd. Even saying that JR doesn't lack passion, he doesn't bring that excitement I think RP will bring (I hate to say it cause every fan base loves the QB who just left and the one on the bench but I'd like to see him takin some snaps to see what'll happen. I'm not at practice and have to believe that our coaching staff has good reason for who they put on the field).

I also don't want to finger any one person but I also go back to Miles' comment earlier in the week about it not being a big game (or something to that effect). I'm sure it was to not have pressure but I think our players need a little ass-chewing right now. Maybe we were too lax and lacked some intensity. I figured we'd loose a couple but giving the game away and having the other one snatched is really discouraging cause we could be in contention right now.

What worries me more is that Tenn and Arkansas could dismember us and we may be glad to have had only two losses at the end of the season. I hope the staff makes some adjustments. 1st of all getting a punt/kickoff returner.
    Try K. Williams, Hester or someone. That could have an immediate impact on outcomes & as someone else posted on another thread, rush the punter!

8. Tiger Paul

Tiger Paul Freshman

There is substantial evidence to support the answer yes. :) The believers in JR do have some arguments, but it could be helpful to at least consider opposing arguments before dismissing the idea of trying Matt Flynn or another quarterback. First, there is a great deal of question begging, that is, “JR is our starting QB because JR is our starting QB.” That is the fallacious reasoning used on this Website by many and last night (unbelievably) by a professional moderator on the second post-game show. This is not thinking, this is emoting. And it is best used positively during a game when the Tigers are not producing. The Tigers, including JR, are playing their hearts out.

Second, JR has not produced well in the big games. Consider the last 7 big games: 2005 (TN, GA, AL, AUB, FL); and 2006 (AUB, FL). JR won only 3 of 7. These are the games when supposedly he was maturing and did not have Marcus Randall to help. He lost the last two, his most “mature” games yet. A theory for the losses is he gets raddled. In life, one will not hold a job merely by trying or by working hard or by “deserving it” or by being talented; one must produce.

Third, a great quarterback (and that is what JR’s supporters believe he is) is supposed to lead, and he is not leading. Moreover, LSU does not need a great quarterback; it needs only a good quarterback. Great or good quarterbacks are not supposed to turn the ball over 4 times in the big game, and if they do, they are supposed to overcome those mistakes. They are not supposed to get raddled after playing almost 30 collegiate games before big crowds and playing in 7 big games. They are supposed to settle the team down by talking to them and by making plays even if it means the game is eventually lost. They do not need the strongest or most accurate arm to make the plays. Terry Bradshaw completed only about 51% of his passes but won 4 Superbowls by making plays.

Fourth, now is still a good time to try another quarterback (even though the coaches squandered their chances with their 4 crummy opponents this year). LSU is out of the national and SEC championship races. LSU can make a new start. LSU still has a great deal of talent, which should give them a winning season and a bowl game whether or not Russell plays. The decisive thing to realize is the only reason Russell is still the quarterback is because of the talent of the other LSU players and the coaches, but mainly the talented players, especially the receiving corps and Hester.

9. medtiger

medtiger Founding Member

The players themselves voted him as one of their captains, so they respect him. It is silly to say that a college QB does not always make the right decision. None of them do, even the golden boy Quinn screws up.

10. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I don't think it was all JR's fault. Many other players and coaches failed this team yesterday. JR can't be blamed for tipped passes that the WR should have caught. The thing that keeps JR from being at great QB is not so much that he melts down like Brooks but that he doesn't really step up and carry the team when he HAS to. If you are a passing team your QB has to crank it up a notch in the clutch. I just don't see JR being that guy. He does have talent and I do not believe he lacks passion for the game.