is nick saban really that good?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by klewis, Nov 23, 2009.

1. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

i agree.

i hope you don't think i'm discrediting miles by saying saban is a great coach.

i'm not sure why some people think a compliment to saban is an insult to miles. both can be great coaches, both can be bad coaches independent of each other.

2. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Whether it's fair or not, as long as Miles is HC at LSU and Saban is HC at Bama, Miles' success or failure will always be measured relative to that of Saban's for very obvious reasons. It won't matter how many OOC or lower-tier SEC teams we beat, it's going to be about whether we beat Bama (and Florida) in any given year.

I sure hope Les does learn from these mistakes. I no longer want to hear about Les taking responsibility for idiotic decisions, I want to see him take DECISIVE action to correct them and avoid similar mistakes in the future.

3. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

Good F'ing God. I wish people would shut up about Saban. Face he LEFT us. He did not want to be here.
    Was he a good coach? sure
    Is he a good coach? sure

He is no longer a part of LSU because he choose to leave. Since he is no longer a part of LSU, this topic does not belong in the section.

Mods: please move this to the appropriate forum.

4. arizonafan

arizonafan Veteran Member

I think Saban is a damn good coach. He along with Meyer are the class of the conference and there is a gap before you get to #3. I think Saban's strong point is his attention to detail with the knowledge that if all of the little parts are perfect then the whole is going to be pretty darn good. He also demands this attention to detail and pursuit of perfection of all of his players & assistants. As an example, most have laid the blame for all of our offensive problems on Crowton. Personally I'm not entirely sure Miles isn't a part of it but for the sake of discussion let's say it's true. Do any of you think after last season's total lack of development of JL that Saban wouldn't have been right in Crowton's face? Personally I don't think Crowton would even be in the discussion because he would have been gone or at the very least there would have been marked improvement this year. If Miles isn't going to be an X's & O's coach then he at least needs to be a CEO. Being way too laid back isn't doing anyone any favors not the players, the fans, or his job security. So what that Saban isn't liked by a lot of the people who work for him. Ask a Gump fan if they really care that if Saban ever smiled it would crack his face. For the 2nd straight year they have a shot at the SECCG and by implication the BCSCG. Compare that to us. I'm not even pissed that he left LSU to go to the NFL. I admit I don't like the way that he did it at all but I can sympathize that as a competitor he wanted to see how he would do at the highest level. Pete Carrol did it and so did Spurrier and they failed as well. They realized that they were better at the college level and came back. They couldn't get their old job back since it was already taken so they took another. Does anyone on this board really think that Spurrier would rather be at SC than UF? If we are going to hire really good people then we have to deal with the fact that they are also very ambitious people with big egos who think they are the very best.

5. Herb

Herb Founding Member

In Saban they t(h)rust!

6. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

can't really disagree with the points you made. I was more pointing to the fact that I think Miles can't help but learn after the Ole Miss debacle.

7. klewis

klewis Freshman

ok, i understand people are tired of the saban talk, and tired of defending les miles. if you read mile's transcript from today he does clear it up about him motioning his hands like he wanted jj to spike it. after the catch the ole miss player came out of the pile with the ball and miles was motioning that tolliver was down, he was doing that right after the play, not while lsu was lined up with 1 sec left. do we really wanna be in a situation like michigan where a good coach has a couple of ok years and is forced out and now they are one of the worst teams in the country. Miles has and i may be wrong been #1 the last 2 years in recruiting. pathetic calling i know and admitted about 50 times today the game was blown by him. but ha, back to saban, when iowa won off of hailmary in the bowl game people were bashing him. a hailmary with time expiring with 1 man covering the reciever. and they finished 16th. lsu still has a chance to finish around 13 or 14. get over it, they will be fine.

8. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

You know, the main reason I like Bobby Knight is because none of his former players spoke badly about him after they graduated...especially the ones who went to the NBA and could have said bad things to a national audience.

By the way, something like 98% of them actually graduated and Indiana is no slouch U.

9. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

Saban is one of the top coaches in the country. He won't win any likability contest but the man can flat out coach and motivate a team.

It is not close between Saban and Miles. Saban by a lot.