Is the ACC that good?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MikeD, Mar 5, 2004.

1. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Supposedly the ACC is the best conference in the country. That's all fine and dandy but I've been hearing bracketologists talking about the ACC getting 8 teams into the NCAA tourney. This is the same conference that has 9 teams as members. Maybe it's just me but I don't understand how 8 of 9 teams could qualify for the tourney.

2. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

Yeah, it is that good. The top 8 teams all have legit claims to the tourney. Duke, WFU, NCST, UNC, Georgia Tech make the tourney no matter what they do next weekend in the ACC tourney. If any of the following three get a win, then they're in: Maryland, Virginia, and Florida St. I think Maryland and Florida St. should get in no matter what, just because of SOS and wins over top 25. ACC is just brutal, top 25 caliber teams are fighting to get to .500 in the conference. For this reason, I think Duke has to be the favorite for the tourney, the conference play and tourney will have them prepared for the NCAA tournament.

3. LoneStarTiger

LoneStarTiger Freshman

The NCAA has said that they won't take teams with sub .500 records in conference. I haven't looked, but surely they don't have 8 teams out of nine that fit that criteria.

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

who said that and when? bama went recently with 7-9 sec record

5. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

Thats a load of crap.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yes thats a load. acc will get a ton in. maybe in the mid majors they won't.

7. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

We'll find out soon enough just how good the ACC is in the
    NCAA Tourney.

I think they are #1 though followed by the SEC

8. LSUstudent

LSUstudent Founding Member

we'll find out come tourney time...no one really knows how good anyone is until march

u can get an idea but the tournament is when the best teams step-up...it's all or nothing

9. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

In the last Bracketology, Joe Lunardi had the SEC putting in 7 teams (Miss. State, Kentucky, South Carolina, Florida, LSU, Alabama, Vanderbilt) while giving the ACC only six (Duke, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Maryland, NC State). While the ACC is rated RPI #1 conference in America, the SEC is not far behind at #4 or #5. The ACC's tippy-top is better than ours, their mid-range teams and our mid-range teams are about the same, but our bottom-feeders are killing us.

I think the SEC will get seven in, but the ACC MIGHT get seven just because the Big Ten and Pac-10 are so weak this year. Here's how I would rate the chances of our teams right now.

LOCKS- Mississippi State, Kentucky
    Probables- South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Florida
    Bubble teams- LSU, Alabama

Both us and Alabama need to get to .500 in SEC play and win a game at the SEC Tourney to make it, IMO.

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

If Boise State beats Hawaii, Maryland is in.:D