Is this true - Dennis Erickson

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Feb 12, 2003.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I was reading an article about Dennis Erickson taking the S.F. job.

And I stumbled across this paragraph.

"Erickson turned down job offers from LSU and USC and turned back overtures from NFL teams. He seemed delighted to be in Corvallis, where the media wattage might power a child's flashlight when compared to the halogens trained upon his previous two stops, the University of Miami and the Seattle Seahawks."

Did LSU offer him a job before Saban. Man did he do us a favor... If this is true (Which I doubt since this is the same rag ESPN that mentions Sabans job for every job opening in sports and lies about his intentions)
    But if this is true, the big guy upstairs was looking out for us, we got probably one of the top 3 coaches in the nation in Saban.

Erickson would not have made it down here.

Anyway, does anyone know anything about this. I thought Saban was our leading candidate from the get-go.

2. dplsu

dplsu Founding Member

Jimmy Ott implied that Erickson was never even contacted for the job. There were fans and others who thought he would be a good candidate at the time.

Thank God for small miracles...

3. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

I remember that it was reported then that Erickson was on the "short list" but he wasn't interested. I think it worked out best for all involved.

4. Hub

Hub Founding Member

My brother used to work for the company who owns the agency that Sexton works for. Sexton is agent for saban and teletubby. after our coaching search was over and we hired Saban my brother told me that the rumor floating around the office was that Tubby was very very close to being our coach. he had been offered something like a $15 million deal over 10 yr's. supposedly he was checking with his asst's about what they thought and during that time is when Saban asked Sexton to throw his name in the hat. the rest is history.

5. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

I'd heard that Tubby might be our next coach at that time. I was seriously considering burning everything I owned with "LSU" on it. I can't stand that man. :mad:

6. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

What a sorry individual Dennis Erickson is. Runs away from Oregon St. less than a week after signing day. I'm sure that his recruits are real happy with their selection. He and SF KNEW that he was leaving OSU because they waited until after signing day. I wish that he would never win another game.

On the other hand, I wonder how smug the folks in Corvallis are about their "coach" now. When many of us thought he should be considered as LSU's coach, they were telling us that he would stay there until he retired.

Uh-huh !!