J.P. Booty Future?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BB, Jul 14, 2004.

1. BB

BB Founding Member

I know this was discussed several months ago, but this may change things. The Leinart kid has stated that he plans to be the USC QB through 2005, his senior season. This puts Booty in a tough spot as his eligibility is slipping away. What are the chances Saban and the Booty's have a conversation at some point. Sitting out a year and making a move may give this kid the opportunity he wants and needs. Not sure how many of you have seen him play, but he is something special on the football field. Any chance he gets into the mix at LSU or another SEC team?

Leinart to Stay at USC Through Senior Year

USC begins its national title defense in less than three weeks, but All-American quarterback Matt Leinart just gave the Trojans security into 2005.

One of college football's best players and one of the NFL's top draft prospects, Leinart told the Sporting News yesterday that he will pass up potential millions and stay in school through his senior season in 2005. A junior, Leinart last year led the Trojans to their first national title since 1978, and finished sixth in the Heisman Trophy voting.
    "I haven't really said anything, but mark it down - I'm staying all five years," Leinart says. "I'm not going to change my mind. Why would I want to leave what we have here? The NFL will always be there; my life as a college student won't. I want to soak it all in because there are only so many games in a career and so many chances to run out of that tunnel at the (Los Angeles) Coliseum."

Leinart was eligible for last year's draft as a third-year sophomore, and likely would've been selected in the late first or early second rounds. Should he continue to progress at his current pace, he could be a top 10 pick next April. The War Room NFL scouting service lists Leinart behind Arizona State's Andrew Walter as the top quarterback on next spring's draft board. Leinart could vault past Walter - and into the top five picks - with another big season.

Leinart followed 2002 USC Heisman Trophy winner Carson Palmer last year and led the Trojans to a 12-1 record and a share of the national title. The Trojans begin this season Aug. 28 against Virginia Tech in the Black Coaches Association Kickoff Classic at FedEx Field outside Washington D.C. That game can reintroduce Leinart and the Trojans to the country.

"There's still that West Coast bias that every team from the Pac-10 has to deal with," Leinart says. "But this is our chance, against a high-caliber program like Virginia Tech, to show everyone on the East Coast what kind of football we play."

USC began last season with a big win at Auburn, a game in which Leinart's first career throw was a touchdown pass to Mike Williams. He finished with 3,556 yards and 38 touchdowns -- numbers similar to Palmer's Heisman season (3,942 yards, 32 touchdowns).

2. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

Nah if he really wants to play he will redshirt this year wait it out at usc or either transfer to a school that will need a quarterback in the next few years.....i dont know i really dont care just if he comes to Lsu he wont be playing for awhile if not at all.

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I agree, Boty sits this year unless Leinart is injured, then has another year as a backup and starts his junior and senior year if he wins the job. USC is getting a lot of good QB's on their roster, it's no given he wins the job. The other part, about Saban talking to the Botty's, never happens IMO. Ever. If he leaves USC he goes to a school without any players like a JR or MF.

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

who cares.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Who cares on the Booty issue.

But also, mark my words, Leinart will NOT stay his senior season at USC. Too much money to pass up.

6. BB

BB Founding Member

Why does there always have to be "who cares" posts on threads? If you don't care, don't post - who do you think cares if you care?

Booty is an exceptional football player who is from Louisiana and has a big decision to make playing behind the Heisman frontrunner. There may be a natural inclination to at least consider the possibility of playing at LSU. If Ryan Perrilloux leaves the state and / or Marcus Randall starts all this year - guess what? - there is an open QB job at LSU. If someone emerges this year at WR and displaces a super-talented Xavier Carter for a couple of seasons don't you think Miami and Florida fans might discuss the possibility of him changing schools?

This may not be something everyone cares about, but I have to believe that it's worthy of a TigerForums thread between Video Game News and Breaking Reports About Miami Football Players going to prison.

My bad, I often forget that Sports Internet Forums are designed to sit idle.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i think it was more of an indictment of a 'booty' and not directed at you, so to speak. Some people like to keep that name out of their thoughts much like your ex who was in bed with your best friend when you walked in after a hard days work.

I think he will probably not want the pressure of the hometown fans here after what his brother forced LSU to endure then had to endure the LSU fans himself after his sabbatical.

That brings up a thought...if Leinart goes down (hurt, not referring to his weekends), is booty his backup? I think their backup was arrested on DWI a month or 2 ago so that could develop into quite an interesting situation. If true, then he's closer to being a starter than ever.

8. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

tirk, you're the perfect guy to comment on booty :grin: :grin:

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

quit trying to bait me again into posting another one for you.

10. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

You KNOW you wanna.... :hihi: