Jambalaya at a tailgate

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by orlandotiger, Feb 6, 2009.

1. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

Alright so I am cooking a Jambalaya at our tailgate tomorrow for the Bud Shootout. I have never done this at a tailgate. Anybody have any helpful hints I should know? I will be the only one that has any clue what I am doing so I will have no help there.

Thanks in advance!

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

contact wee directly. his tailgate pastalaya is great and he can probably pass along the secrects that will work for jamba.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

PASS TA LIIIIIIIIII YA! :thumb:

4. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I may have posted this before but here is how I make mine.

Chicken, Andouille, and Tasso Jambalaya

Ingredients

2lbs of Andouille Sausage sliced thin (I use pork)
    3 lbs of boneless skinless chicken thighs chopped into 1 inch cubes
    1 lbs of Tasso Ham
    1 Large can of Original Roltel Tomatoes (I think it's like 22 oz)
    1 Red Bell Pepper chopped
    2 Green Bell Peppers chopped
    2 large yellow onions chopped
    2 cups of celery chopped
    6 cups of medium grain rice
    11 cups of low sodium chicken stock. (If you cannot find low sodium then do not use any high salt seasoning. use a little cayenne instead)
    2 bay leaves
    2 teaspoons thyme
    2 teaspoons basil
    4 tablespoons of crushed garlic

Cajun seasoning to taste. I use Slap Yo Mama or Tony Chachere's. Emeril and Paul Prudhomme also make there own versions. (see note next to chicken stock)

2 tablespoons vegetable oil (just enough to coat the bottom of the pan for browning chicken)

Directions

You will need a large pot to cook this - at least 12 quarts. Coat the bottom of the pot with a thin layer of oil. On high heat add sausage and sauté for 5 minutes. Add chicken and brown. Make sure the pan is hot. It is ok if the meat browns onto the bottom of pan as you cook. Add onion, bell peppers, and celery to the meat. Using a metal spatula scrap any browning off the pan and stir into the mixture. Continue to sauté for another 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock, garlic, Rotel, and tasso ham and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add rice and seasoning. Return to a boil. Reduce heat to the lowest setting possible. Cover and cook on low for one hour. Do not lift the lid.

Note 1: If you do not have a thick heavy pot the jambalaya will not cook evenly on the stove top. You can use the oven in this case. After you add the rice and return to a boil, cover and move to a pre heated 325 degree oven for one hour.

Note 2: If you are not in Louisiana it may be hard to find Tasso and Andouille. You can substitute smoked sausage for the andouille and smoked ham for the tasso. If you use uncooked ham, add it at the same time as the sausage. You can order tasso and andouille online at www.cajungrocer.com

1 person likes this.
  5. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

If you don't wanna cook from scratch then try the Oak Grove mix. Comes out great every time. But scratch is cool....

KyleK likes this.
  6. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Oak Grove is, hands down, the best jambalaya mix.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

An old thread here but Zatarain,'s is pretty good too. Just use lots of boxes if you are feeding a bunch of people

8. KyleK

I think most people here know that I cook a lot of jambalaya and have a difficult time not making it from scratch. However, I have tried all of the mixes and to me, Oak Grove tastes the most like real, traditional jambalaya.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  9. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Never had that. Gonna see if I can find it. 71 knows whats up, so this cant be wrong.

10. KyleK

They will ship it to you. They make lots of seasonings, mixes and bases. Terri will answer the phone.