Jarvis Green

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by dallastigers, Jun 6, 2003.

1. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

Jarvis is playing inside. I read where he has been playing nose tackle in their 3-4 defense. At link below they have him playing inside in their 4-3 as well.

patriots link

2. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

Here is more.
    Q: How is Jarvis Green at the nose?
    BB: I think he has got the body type for it. He's got the quickness for it. He's just going to need a little experience in it. We're not going to know until training camp. There's just no way to know. But in terms of getting some reads and knowing his assignments and all of those kind of things, at this point it seems to be coming along okay. Until we get to training camp and are really able to rep those things in pads, that's when we'll know and it will take a while.

Q: I think people's impression of the nose tackle is big, 300-pound guys and you have Klecko who is 283, Jarvis Green is 285. Do you think you can do the job at that position at that size?

BB: Well, sure. I think there are different styles. You look at a guy like [Anthony] McFarland, guys like Brad Culpepper, people like that who have played on the nose. Jarvis is 285. We played with Ernie Logan at the Jets and it's probably about the same type of build, same type of body type. Tim Goad played here for a long time, [who was] one of the better noses in the league. I doubt if he weighed 260. There's different styles and different body types, a little difference in style and techniques there, but in the end I think that for a player to be effective, he's got to have some quickness, he's got to have good hand usage and has to be able to play with strength regardless of what his actual 'poundage' and weight room and all of that is. He has to be able to play with strength and balance like a wrestler would with guys leaning on them and different combinations and angles and be able to play with his feet under him and play with his strength in there.

Q: Was there any hesitation in moving Jarvis Green inside after he played so much on the outside?

BB: We have talked to Jarvis about it. Hopefully he has not forgot everything that he has learned at end. There is always a possibility that we could move him back out to end for a number of reasons. The upside for Jarvis is that there really isn't an established nose at this point on out team. He has an opportunity to go in and really get a headstart and a jump on that position and maybe win it if he is the best guy. Being out Seymour and Pleasant ? there is competition at those other spots. Maybe he will beat them out. I don't know. There is an opportunity there at that stop and we will see how it goes. If we need to move him back out to end, then we move him back out to end. I don't think that he will be that far behind. I thought it would be a lot more of a problem if we start him at end and get through two weeks of training camp and say why don't we start him at nose. I think that would be a lot tougher adjustment at that point. We have gone through the offseason and he has taken basically all of his snaps at that position. I'm sure that we will give him some reps at end during training camp in case he does go back out there so he retains a little bit of familiarity with it, but we will see how it goes at nose. There is an opportunity for him to get a lot of playing time.

Q: Is his speed and quickness negated at all?

BB: I think that he is fast and explosive and that is really an asset that we were looking for. I think that there is some misconception out there that we want to be slow. We are not looking to be slow. We want to be fast. Size is important, but speed and quickness are important too.

From Link below.
    Link at Patriots