Jerald Watson committment to Auburn

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by jo3269, Jan 18, 2004.

1. jo3269

jo3269 Freshman

Jerald Watson has backed out on his committment to LSU and has committed to Auburn, per Rivals 100. What are your thoughts?
    I'm not that upset. I've never seen him projected as anything but a running back and I couldn't see him as anything better than 5th string behing Vincent, Addai, Broussard, and Edwards. Use that scholarship for someone who can come in and play.

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Looks like Robert Lane syndrome. Some guys are afraid of competition.

3. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

No, that's not the case at all. What happened is Watson gained weight and lost speed and still wanted to play RB. But we need him for DB or WR so Saban gave him permission to seek other schools. I think Saban also wnated to free up the schollie for a better player like Marcus Walker. This is good news.

4. conradj

conradj Founding Member

I agree this is probably for the best

5. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Maybe he just wants some playing time.

Let's face it, at LSU he had very little shot at playing time.

I don't blame anyone who just wants to play

6. alumni95

alumni95 Founding Member

competition??

if there is any SEC school that could compare with talent at running back then it is Auburn! although we completely shut them down they are loaded at RB: Cadillac, Ronnie Brown, Brandon Jacobs, Tre Smith.

I don't think you can say he left us and went to AUBURN because he was scared of competition!! Honestly, that group of guys may be even more talented than our group. They are at least in the same league.

7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

But how long will they be around? Caddy was looking a going pro this year and Jacobs was a JUCO transfer. In one or two years Jacobs, Caddy and Brown will all be gone. We had 3 great true freshmen including the SECCG and Sugar Bowl MVP. The back field at LSU got much much more crowded since Watsons early commitment.

8. conradj

conradj Founding Member

I think they are all Sr's this coming year, except tre smith.

9. b L e S e U r

b L e S e U r Founding Member

10. TigerStagg

TigerStagg Founding Member

For what it’s worth, I got info from a local writer, who watched him play all year & said he is way overrated b/c of his track speed. That Watson is a track guy in a football uniform. Even in his school’s low classification and undersized competition he didn’t have a football player’s mentality and avoids getting hit above all else. Of course he could get better but even before his de-commitment this writer told me that he didn’t see Watson ever really contributing at LSU.

I’m not saying this like now he sucks all of a sudden as soon as he de-commits. I got this info way back when and I didn’t want to believe it. Now I hope it’s true.