Jimbo Leaning Towards Staying at LSU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JP4LSU, Jan 11, 2005.

1. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

Dandy Don's site has suggested that it appears Jimbo will stay at LSU.
    We all know he will not have the power that he had under Saban because of Les Miles OC experience.

What do you guys think of this? Is Jimbo the correct choice or does it matter since Les will be his hands up to his elbows on the offense?

I'm kind of mixed on this. There have been great flashes in the Offense at times but there have been times that I thought the offense was way too conservative.

I think it might be hard to get a really experienced and good OC to LSU if Les is going to be heavily involved in the OC, so keeping Jimbo could be the best move in order to keep some continuity.

2. Carface

Carface What the...?

Well they need someone to stick around that's familiar with not only the SEC, but the players as well.

3. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

I am hoping that the Gary Crowton rumors pan out... that would be an upgrade at OC, in my opinion.

4. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

He wont have as much control though with the offense if he does stay...

5. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

I'm thinking Crowton would be a good catch too. But would somebody like Crowton who is well respected as an OC be willing to go to LSU under Miles who will undoubtedly have his hands in the Offense? Or would Miles be willing to relenquish some of that authority in order to land someone like Crowton?

But Carface makes a good point.Having experience in the SEC would be a good thing to have and plus having the players respect and knowing the players is also good.

So like I said I'm mixed. Maybe some performance stats on the possible OC's would make my mind up for me.

6. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

IMO, Fisher staying would only help. Players and recruits may feel more comfortable with a familiar face.

I'm not sure if it makes much sense for him to be the OC at NC St, even if he would have more control. He's been looking for a head coaching job and he may be better off staying at LSU until that HC job comes available.

7. Maderan

Maderan Founding Member

If he stays it won't be for long. I believe that Miles and he will eventually clash for power and he will go. Even if he stays Miles will bring in someone else to coach QB's.

The one caviat...Jimbo may bloom (literaly) into a stunning OC while working under Miles. He didn't develop at all under Saban as Saban just handed him the offense and said here. He could learn and grow under Miles with the right attitude and those flahes of Genius we have seen could become commonplace. This may be the "John Dever" view of things but I'd would love to see this happen more than see him leave or clash with Miles.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

None of us know the arrangement that Miles and Jimbo could make. Perhaps Miles doesn't intend to get as involved as Nick did in micromanaging a coordinator. Nick was a control freak and I'm not sure that Miles is. Jimbo certainly doesn't appear to be. These guys might pair up well.

But I agree, Jimbo is headed for a head coaching job soon. Probably next year.

9. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I wonder how much influence Saban had on the offense. Maybe not in the playcalling, but in the conservative gameplan the last two years.

Our defense wasn't that great the first couple of years under Saban, so the philosopy seemed to be outscore the opponents. As the defense improved each year, it appeared our offense became more conservative. It's not uncommon for a defensive minded coach to be conservative on offense.

Of course, it could have a lot to do with the QB situation as well....

10. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

At first, I didn't see this happening since I didn't think Les would want a guy that more than a few people associated with the program thought (think-?) should have been named head coach. Why risk splitting up your people into different camps by having a guy who (plainly) wanted your job on your staff?>

Now, it may be just a short-term marriage of convenience. Even though Saban gave us ample reason to expect him to leave one day, I don't think anyone thought it'd be this offseason.

So, Jimbo wasn't putting his name (or, at least, letting it be known he would entertain inquiries from others) out there for possible jobs the way he was last season. I'm sure Chuck Amato is a good guy to work for and with, even if those wrap-around shades look kinda strange, but being the OC at NC St is not even a lateral move for Jimbo.

Stick with the very likely top 5 LSU team for 2005, let it be known that you're interested in other opportunities, and see what happens come December or so of this year.

As for Les, it behooves him to maintain continuity on the offensive side of the ball so as to minimize disruptions to the developmental process of his young QBs. As we've all said about a billion times here, the 2005 team will go as far as its QBs take it. Keeping the same OC that both guys have had since their first days on campus minimizes the odds of them backsliding when you need them the most, which I define as "when you're playing the most important position on a team that has 18 starters returning and a friendly schedule".

This would still be true even if Jimbo's wings are clipped somewhat in comparison to what he was able to do under Saban.