JJ is the Key to This Season

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bandit88, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Although I have not changed my thoughts about offensive miscues (turnovers and penalties) and LB/DB inexperience being the hallmarks of last night's suckfest of a win, I have a follow-on thought.

All teams, to some degree, have troubles with penalties and turnovers. Florida, for instance, was the most penalized team in the NCAA (I think, SEC for sure) when they won the 2005 BCS Crystal Football. LSU had tons of penalties in 2007, although their turnover margin was sa-weet. Other teams have QBs who throw interceptions at a rate almost equal to their TDs. Yet many of these teams don't have second halves like LSU did last night.

And I think the reason might be that they have a QB who can fairly consistently get them out of jams. JJ showed that, with patience and protection, he can hit RR in stride for a 50 yard TD strike. He can also scramble pretty well. But he's not good at 3rd and long. Because he's not good at delivering when the other team expects what he's about to do - i.e. 3rd and long. He has happy feet in the pocket, and he is still late seeing the play develop. NITPICK ALERT: Randle had to slow down a bit to catch the ball in the end zone because Jefferson didn't throw it until Randle had separated from the DB - not AS he was SEPARATING from the DB. The point is, I don't think JJ is seeing the play develop until it's obvious. And that means he's waiting too long, and it also means he won't take risks and throw based on what's ABOUT to happen - he waits to see if it's GOING to happen.

Last night, LSU was 1-6 in 3rd and 6 or more passing situations. The one conversion was the TD pass to Shepard. Conversely, LSU was 7 for 9, including a 50 yard TD to RR, on first down passes.

JJ has got to be able to deliver when everyone in the stadium knows EXACTLY what he's about to do. He has to be able to do it anyway. At least some of the time. 1 out of 6 times won't cut it.

I think he's getting better. I see more confidence, I see better pocket presence - though he still has happy feet. Not there yet, though.

2. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I dont think he had a horrible game except for 2 plays, other than that, he played pretty well.

3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

This^

In all:
    2 50+ yard plays ( equal to last year in one game)
    O'line Push
    Running game ( Freaking fumbles and Holding,,,,,STOP IT)
    Big plays ( AKA RUBEN-SHEPARD!)

In all, very good things in the first game we didnt have last year.

Stop FUMBLES
    STOP PENALTIES and LSU 41 UNC 24... SImple..

4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I mostly agree. Shepard and TT missed a few catches early on...

If this happens by game 3, we all have a right to be pissed, but to early at this point.

Saw good and bad things, all was expected.

5. LSUMASTERMIND

exactly, I saw some things he improved on like standing in the pocket and firing the ball to Shep, Randle, TT and the TE. He ran the ball pretty well too. But we have to find someone to blame I guess he is it.

Blame Miles and Crowton and The Chief for that matter for letting up off the gas, for having the best cover corner in the nation blitzing while they pick us apart on the slant patter. Blame them for having a true freshman in the game that blew a coverage, blame them for letting a running back that fumble continue to run, blame them for not putting the ball in Sheps hands for the rest of the second half.

Give me a break, if people want to put this game on Jefferson, thats just delusional at best.

6. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

I think that there's enough blame to go around, but why blame for a near loss? The penalties and the turnovers were particularly atrociousm but I'm going to write it off as first game. Still, if they are still doing the same six or seven games into the season, it goes from being a player issue to a coaching one.

7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

This is what I do not get.

This game would have been sooo different if not for HUGE pen's

The 1st UNC TD was b/c of DUMB pens by the D.

Fumbles plus more Pen's equal 2 lost TD's I know we would have made....

I would still give UNC the FG from the 75 yrd pass and the 95+, but either way, none like the what if game...

But man, I hope I never see Taylor play another down. He cannot tackle and gets beat every other play....

8. LSUMASTERMIND

yes I am defending him, no one is talking about the holding penalties that killed 3 drives that we looked decent on, but lets blame that on JJ as well.
    Last years beef, he couldnt hit receivers in stride, he did that. He doesnt stay in the pocket, he did that many times last night. Yes he showed some of his bad habits, but he wasnt horrible.

9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Well JJ is bad b/c he didnt have more TD's vs. rejects!

Get it right...

10. danthetigerfan

danthetigerfan Founding Member

Are you JJ's dad or what? JJ was horrible last nite. He made 1 half ass decent throw to RR (RR was wide freakin open and he still had to hold up for the ball). I think you are the one that is delusional. I have seen high school QBs with much better footwork than JJ. When it comes to football JJ is "Ignant".