Kentucky Defense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bayoutider, Nov 3, 2002.

1. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

Kentucky's defense ranks #96 in the nation this week according to Sports Illustrated. Here are the top 10 in their rankings.
    1. LSU 511 1843 230.38
    2. Alabama 554 2245 249.44
    3. Kansas St. 616 2276 252.89
    4. TCU 484 1837 262.43
    5. Troy St. 645 2660 266.0
    6. Oklahoma 571 2144 268.0
    7. Ohio St. 592 2698 269.8
    8. Pittsburgh 622 2486 276.22
    9. Miami (FL) 593 2210 276.25
    10. Texas 603 2489 276.56

Lorenzen will make some plays, that's a given, but I think LSU can beat them with ball control and keeping him off the field.

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

This game scares me, Has all year. Tack on a team who has had a punch to the chest from a confidence standpoint. Tack on ANOTHER 11:30am game, tack on a QB who is playing his 3rd game and his 2nd was a disaster. Tack on our Defensive QB has left the team (James) and this game scares me.

I will make no predicitions. But I am a bit worried about this game.

Geaux Tigers.

3. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

Kentucky has almost always been a thorn in LSU's side. Many times they will make it a close one when they shouldn't even be close. The Tigers need a win here to gain back the confidence that will be needed for this brutal upcoming homestand. Let's just hope the Auburn game was just a midseason hiccup like the Ole Miss game was last year.

4. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Backs to the wall

The Tigers better have a "determined to fight and win" attitude this Saturday vs. Ky. Any lazy, lackadaisical, slow-starting kind of 1st Quarter will get us beat.

It all boils down to whether each LSU Tiger can FIGHT WITH THE HEART OF A TIGER.

The month of November will be a true test of character for us. With a bit of luck, we can win out the year. HOWEVER, if we lack focus or effort at any point, we will know why we failed to achieve a winning record in November.

5. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

I agree! I was at the Kentucky game last year & we almost lost!

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The Kentucky defense can be exploited if the LSU offense shows up in it's "A" mode. Randall won't stay green forever but he has to start coming around now. Jimbo Fisher will call plays that don't exceed Randall's capabilities and have low interception potential . If needed, LSU can line up with 2 TE's and 2 backs and play a power running game to avoid turnovers. But if Randall can throw safe passes without a bunch of interceptions the LSU offense can win easily. Otherwise...

Turnovers are the key to winning in the SEC. Parity is here. Bear Bryant won for years with a strong defense, good kicking, and a fairly conservative offense that didn't turn the ball over. I expect to see such an offense from LSU the rest of this year.

7. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

Don't be looking ahead to Bama, that would be a terrible mistake. Yes UK has, in the past, been almost like the Bama vs Vandy game. The other team has no business looking that good against you but somehow they do. Like I said, stay focused and keep Lorenzen off the field. He is going to throw the ball but I think you can keep him out of the endzone. It doesn't matter how many yards he gets between the red zones. Good luck.

8. WestKyCat

WestKyCat Freshman

Well, you will see a different Kentucky team this year. Our passing yards this year are not what they have been in the past. I think we have the SEC's leading rusher in Artose Pinner (avg 115 yrds) and having 6 straight 100 yard games in a row. We play a more physical style of football now. I think Guy Mo has us on the right track. Don't know how we compare to the elite yet, but our new AD is determined to get us there.

9. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Luckily the game is being played early. Usually those game are played at night when it is colder than the LSU players are accustomed. This is one time that JP has done us a favor.

10. diehardLSUfan

diehardLSUfan Founding Member

I am confident

that the team has gotten together and done some soul searching since Auburn. Last year when we went up to Kentucky, we went with the same attitude that we went to Auburn with, an automatic win for us. I think this team, with or without Damien James, has the capability of getting physical when their asses are on the line. And you better believe they are, especially if Auburn beats UGA.