Kicking Game???

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by EliteLSU1, Sep 19, 2004.

1. EliteLSU1

EliteLSU1 Founding Member

Do we have a true special teams coach? I mean one especially for the kickers.
    There is no doubt that punting, kicking off, field goals and PAT's is terrible. Our offense really didn't show any cohesiveness but our punting really stuck us in terrible field position.

2. mgreer1

mgreer1 Founding Member

Derek Dooley is the special teams coach. Kicking is a unique aspect of football in that it is probably 90% mental. These guys are just not concentrating in the moment. Saban has been quoted as saying that they make all of their kicks during practice PATs and FGs. Punting was not terrible, though we do not have a Donnie Jones who could rip a 50-60 yarder. It was not punting that put us in bad field postion we did not move the ball and Auburn did what we did to them last year keep us with the goaline at our backs.

GEAUX TIGERS!!

3. Carface

Carface What the...?

We had a kicking team? Oh, I thought we went in there and just scored the touchdown and that was it.

Just kidding. A little humor to lighten the mood.

I'm concerned with the PAT performance, but we've gotten some pretty nice punts in there, if I may say so myself.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

In a defensive battle where field position was so critical, the punting and returns teams were most dissapointing...even moreso than us missing the extra point.

Skyler Green's injury proved to be the difference in this one. LSU is not getting it done with the Punting duties. Not sure what we can even do about that now. Just have to live with it.

Getting to only the 13 yard line on that last return cost us. LSU starts from the 25 (which is not asking too much) means we have the ball at the 30, not the 42 on that last pass play. Big difference.

Let's hope it doesn't cost us again this year.

5. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

All I know is that Corey is not getting it done at return. It is taking away from his performance at corner, and maybe banging him up more. I agree ST's was our doom, and will be, until we get some execution and Skyler healthy. I think X-man should get more looks at PR's, but Shyrone is coming back next week, so I guess he will play for Skyler.

6. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

All very good points. I was hoping XC could get a good return ala Devery Henderson last year against UGA. To make it that much easier to get a FG. Alas, XC took to long to start running fast and got smoked. He needed to just get going north-south as soon as possible and let his speed make people miss rather than his juking ability. Give him a few games, he'll learn.