Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Laser eye surgery

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by shane0911, Feb 20, 2014.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

Who has had it and what kind? I had PRK back in 2004. I think lasik was fairly new at that point and when I went in for my eval I was told I didn't qualify because my cornea's were too thin and they would have to do PRK instead. Brutal, but after the pain and irritation was gone I could see better than I ever had.

Fast forward 10 years and I'm pretty sure I am drifting back to the stage of needing some type of corrective lens, that or I drink too much. Well, lets not kid ourselves, of course I drink too much. Still, shit is sometimes blurry when it shouldn't be.

I was told during the consult that it wouldn't last forever and that the eyes will continue to deteriorate with age and eventually this would happen.

My question is, to anyone that has had any type of laser eye procedure, how long ago and how is your vision now?
  2. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

Had LASIK in 2001 and I could finally see the leaves on the trees. I have had better than 20/20 vision until about a year ago. I hit 43 and all of a sudden the menu needed to be a little further away. My eyes have slipped a bit more but I only need cheep reading glasses when I need to get out a splinter. But I think I might start wearing them when I eat ribs. Really hard to see what is what on that rib...
    Cajun Sensation and shane0911 like this.
  3. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

Lasik in 2005. Went from around 20/200 to 20/20 in one and 20/15 in the other. Still don't need reading glasses although my surgeon assured me it was only a matter of time. Fantastic being out of contacts and getting my night vision back.
  4. islstl

islstl Occupy the BCS

I have 20/200 in one eye but I have never been able to get better than 20/40 vision with glasses. Is there a chance that Lasik could get me to totally correct that eye? Were you ever able to see 20/20 with glasses in that eye?
  5. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

After the PRK I was 20/15 in one eye and 20/20 in the other. Just as recent as a few years ago I was still at least 20/20 on both but I can tell that my vision is regressing as I age, which is normal. I could probably go and get another round of PRK if in fact I am not a candidate for lasik but I'd have to pay for either so when I can no longer see the golf ball it is back to those damned contacts for me.

To answer your question, yes, I have absolutely no doubt that lasik can get you to 20/20 or better in that one eye. No, zero, nada, no chance they can't do it.
  6. mctiger

mctiger Kenny HIlliard, Beast

I had lasik in either 2000 or 2001. Brought me from 20/200 overnight to 20/10. Twelve or so years later, and I'm just now starting to think about getting reading glasses.
  7. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

Glasses corrected my vision to 20/20. There is no guarantee of getting to 20/20, but everyone I know that has had lasik is pleased with the results.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I am nearsighted but I can read without glasses. I thought about having it done but I was afraid it would be trading nearsightedness for farsightedness and that I would need reading glasses. When I have my contact lenses on I still need reading glasses to read things like a menu in a dimly lit restaurant, especially when they print them in some kind of fancy script
  9. lsutiga

lsutiga TF Pubic Relations

Same here.
  10. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

From what I understand, if your vision can only be corrected to 20/40 with glasses, that's all you'll get out of laser surgery.