Les Miles contract

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by crawfish, Sep 7, 2010.

1. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/graphics/2009/coaches-contracts/pdf/miles_lsu.pdf

chancellor martin has the right to extend miles contract 1 year after an 8 win season without board approval. from what i understand martin has not extended miles contract the last two seasons. as of right now miles is under contract for an additional two seasons, '11 and '12. his annual salary is 3.75 mil. if lsu fires miles say at the end of this season they'd owe him 7.5 mil and would have the option to pay the buyout over a 4 year period.

2. LSUpathdoc

LSUpathdoc Trust me, I'm a Doctor

If we perform any where near how we preformed last Saturday. I say we start a collection.

1 person likes this.
  3. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

OK, this needs to get straightened out once and for all. I've seen some reports saying that without automatic extensions his contact is up after 2012. I've also seen media reports and other forum members say he has 5 years left on the contract. I don't know what to believe at this point.

Which is it?

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Can you imagine what it's going to be like in Tiger Town, if we lose our home opener? Mississippi State may have only played Memphis, but they dominated them, and shut them out. Thats impressive for a first game of the season.

5. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

i think crawfish's info is correct.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Doesn't Miles have a seven-year contract?

If it wasn't rolled over in 2008 or 2009, then he has 5 years left, right?

7. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

No, crawfish's info is correct as best as I can determine. Looks like all of the modifications/amendments were to his 2006 contract. And from what I've read the buyout number being tossed around (~ 8 million) would be offset by salary from any new position he took or negotiated downward by the parties.

8. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

the contract expires at the end of the '12 season unless the chancellor chooses to extend the contract. it appears he hasn't exercised that option.

9. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

If anything this gives all the Miles-haters even more reasons for a hissy fit. If we post a sub-par record this season the most likely scenario is they don't extend the contract, let him bring in the 2011 class and go from there. If the 2011 and 2012 seasons are more of the same, then LSU would likely try to get Les to take a drastic cut in pay if he wants to stay here. If not, we both move on and LSU doesn't get the stigma of firing a coach that won an NC.

10. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

So I just read through his contract. The last amendment was on 4/24/2008 and it increased the maximum amount that LSU must pay Miles in the event he is terminated without cause from 15 million to 18.75. According to the contract LSU must pay all sums due COACH under the terms of the contract. Per sections 3, 6, 7, and 9 he would make the following

• 300k - Base salary
    • Up to 250K for post season
    • 975k Radio and TV
    • Up to 125k for meeting academic levels
    • 550k guaranteed from TAF and endorsements

That comes to 2.2 million. Not sure where the 4+ M number comes from. There is a clause that he has to be within the top 5 SEC coaches though.

The term of the contract is from 1/1/2008 to 12/31/2012. Can be rolled over if he wins 8 games up to 2014.