Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Linkedin question

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by lsu99, May 2, 2014.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I read an article a few months ago that criticized Linkedin's format when you update information in your profile. It had something to do with the implied perception that you have recently changed jobs when there was no actual change of employer.

I have worked for a decent sized international O&G company (30k employees) for the past 10 yrs. My division was sold earlier this year with our new brand name recently created and announced. I need to update my profile to remove the old company. If possible, I'd like to avoid the linkedin auto message to all of my contacts to "congratulate lsu99 on their new job" since I haven't actually changed jobs. I also want to avoid the perception that I'm job hopping if I decide to look for a new job in the near future due to upcoming changes.
  2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me?

I have never seen the need to put all of my personal info online like that. Scares the hell out of me.
    shane0911 likes this.
  3. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

I have a linked in profile but there isn't anything on it. I made it off a suggestion of one of my coworkers and it really hasn't done a damn thing for me. I guess to be fair I haven't really used it either so...
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Same here. I joined linkedin only because I got an invite from a business associate but there is not really much on it. Now I get invites from people I don't even know all the time. I suppose its like being a Facebook friend for business
  5. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun I'll try to be nicer, if you try to be smarter!

I am beginning to draw the technological line of stuff I just don't want to know how to do. I do a lot for 61 year old, but some shit is not worth it.

Linkedin is one of them. Yeah, I have a profile, I guess, but I get crap all the time from people I just click yes, or accept, or something and move on.

If I am gonna hire someone based on an internet profile, I might as well go to one of those "hot milf" sites and get me a date, based on her profile.
  6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Linkedin is you resume online. You should never accept linking with someone who you don't know or would not give a positive recommendation to. I get a lot of job interest from mine. It's a way of controlling what is out there on the internet about you. It's all positive for me, so it makes for a good first impression in today's business world. It's nothing more than a networking tool, s if you don't actively use it then don't expect much success with it.