Logic, Emotion and Parallel Universes

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BP, Dec 7, 2009.

1. BP

BP Founding Member

Let’s try something that doesn’t happen often enough on this forum and logically analyze what LSU should and should not be doing in terms of winning conference championships.

Is there anybody here who does not believe that, on average, Florida and Alabama will not or should not recruit as well as LSU does?

Is there anybody here that thinks that, on average, Tennessee, Georgia and Auburn cannot each win a conference championship at least once every ten years? (I mean no disrespect to these three teams, or the other teams in the conference. I am formulating this in what I believe is the most favorable, but realistic, terms for LSU. I have no doubt that any of these three teams have the resources, talent pool and tradition to win the conference more often that once a decade.)

If you accept these premises, it means that, on average, for three out of every ten years, someone other than the current top three teams will win the conference. Whic in turn means that, at best, there are only seven years out of ten where one of the “Big Three” will win the championship, or, on average, twice every ten years or once every five.

Les Miles did so just two years ago. And, unlike any arguments that are made that we “lucked into” the ’07 national championship game (like any team has ever played for the national championship without luck… see this year Alabama vs. Tennessee, Auburn, Arkansas and LSU, or Texas vs. Nebraska; not to mention that Nicky only got to play in ’03 because Southern Miss beat California in the last game of the season, a make-up date due to a hurricane (but, no luck there)... LSU won its conference championship on the field.

Therefore, unless we go another four or five years without winning a conference championship, I do not believe we have anything about which to complain. I also believe that this means that, on average, LSU should be 10-2 or 9-3, an average that Miles beats by a large margin.

If you disagree, please point out where you believe that I have not analyzed the situation accurately. Do you not believe that Florida and Alabama will recruit as well as LSU does, or that Tennessee, Georgia and Auburn will never again be competitive in the conference. If you cannot point to something “wrong,” then it seems to me that you must either accept reality or decide to continue living in a parallel, and distorted, universe.

8 people like this.
  2. Lil Jules

Lil Jules Founding Member

great post :thumb:

3. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

the SEC might as well be called the Big 6 because other than Tenn, UF, UGA, LSU, AU, and bama, no one legitimately makes claims for the title year in and year out now.

but that's still 5 other schools besides LSU that want/expect the same thing.

3 of those schools are on a major downswing either trying to rebuild (tenn/AU which coincidentally are bama's two biggest rivals) or trying to figure out what to do next (UGA).

you have two programs either on a major upswing (bama) or resting near the top where it usually is (fla). then you have LSU who in the past two years isn't quite where AU, tenn, UGA are but isn't quite where bama and fla are.

the question for LSU is what will 2010 do for them. launch them back where fla and bama are now or push them back to where the rest of the big 6 is now?

and which out of (tenn, AUn, and UGA) will be much improved next yr (as the original poster said those teams aren't gonna be down forever).

i've said it before and i'll say it again, each team should be competing for the conf title. if a NC title shot comes with it then it's just gravy.

will LSU have a legit shot at the SEC next yr or will they be wondering what to do next with miles like UGA is doing with richt.

4. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I think that you hit on a very solid point. I have said it before and I will continue to say it, I think this was the last year, for some time, that there will be a total dominance of the SEC by any team. I think that the middle of the pack is catching up to the top tier teams and the SEC is going to be back to beating itself up more than ever. UF nor Bama nor LSU will be able to control the SEC as has been done over the past few yrs. Auburn, UT, UGA, OM, and Ark are all going to play a role in this more than has been of late. With each of these teams taking a game here and a game there from the top. LSU is still at the top and will continue to be, but I think the future top will be 10 to maybe 11, on occasion, win seasons with the next 5-6 teams being 8 - 4 win seasons. The landscape of the SEC is getting tougher and to get to the MNC will start to get further away for the top SEC teams.

Your question of can LSU stay at the top, I would say overall yes, but just like Bama and UF there will be those down years where the middle of the pack will knock one of them down.

5. Texas_Tiger

Texas_Tiger Tiger Stuck in Aggie Land

Florida and Alabama will always recruit well;...

Florida is one of 3 states that always produces tons of talent, and with the decline of FSU and Miami. the Gators are #1 in the state. Plus CUM is able to get top out-of-state recruits on occasion (Brandon Spikes - Shelby NC).

Alabama has very good home talent of their own, and being next door to Florida, helps pull some of the Florida kids their way (Trent Richardson - Pensacola Fla). Plus CNS is able to pull recruits out of Louisiana and Texas.

LSU has very good home grown talent, and like Alabama we are fortunate to be next door to a state that produces tons of talent. Plus CLS is able to pull an occasional 5* player out of Florida (Patrick Peterson - Miami Fla).

So in my opinion the recruiting will always be close

6. LSUTIgerSTL

LSUTIgerSTL Freshman

I agree with virtually every comment thus far on this thread. Especially the part about the 'middle of the pack' making some great strides. (example - while LSU should have beaten Ole Miss, the Rebles are vastly improved and have a darn good coach.)
    Thanks for all of the input, it's great to read some well thought out and well stated comments. :geaux:

7. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I think Ole Miss is facing a serious decline. They are losing an AWFUL lot of talent this year. I think they are losing 7 starters on offense (Sneed is a Jr. I believe) and 5 on defense.

Assuming Sneed stays for another year. They are losing a large percentage of their team.
    Nutt may be a good coach but he has to recruit. Not his strength.

I would be more worried about Arkansas then Ole Miss. More so if Mallet comes back for another year.
    I think that team will make more noise than you think

8. LSUTigerDad

LSUTigerDad 2009 Pick Em Champ

Just heard Nutt is interested in Kansas job.

9. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Really ???
    Wow at least Ole Miss is a football school.
    Thats a shocker to say the least

10. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

Agree totally about Ole Miss, so it makes sense that Nutt would flee a sinking ship. Their recruiting is a joke this year. I think Arky loses Mallet (projected by NFL draft sites), and that great guard is going to be drafted (Petrus?).

Both programs have serious issues.