Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Lone Survivor

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by mobius481, Jan 13, 2014.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

So I watched this movie last night (first movie I've seen in theatres since Hangover 2). Man, it was pretty freaking intense. It really got me thinking about the reality of war. I mean, I'm a big sack of pansy and could never be one of these guys. Then towards the end, it got me thinking a little bit about what I was doing there. Was I there to be entertained, was I there to understand the realities of war. Is this the reality of war. I just don't know. So my question is, to those who have served in uniform in forward positions, what do you think of these types of movies that are essentially an action packed drawn out battle scene with Marky Mark and some other guys who have never been in a battle? Does it make you mad that it's being glorified and watched by people eating popcorn and complaining about having to wake up at 7:00 AM to go to work and walk the dog etc. Or is it a good thing that while we may be going for entertainment, the audience thinks a little and understands what you've been through?

By the way, this was a really good movie for all the reasons I pointed out but I felt a little guilty that we make these types of movies at the end.
  2. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

I don't mean to derail your thread but this seems sort of relevant. One caveat to start: I've never served in any branch of the armed services.

A couple of years ago I attended a continuing education seminar where one of the sessions dealt with returning vets, PTSD and violent crime. The presenter, who is a vet, said that when he was in Afghanistan (I think) he saw some graffiti on a wall that said, "The United States of America is not at war. The United States Marine Corps is at war. The United States of America is at the mall."

That is both profoundly true and unutterably sad.
    MLUTiger likes this.
  3. fanatic

fanatic Buckle your seatbelts...

Right, unlike in WWII the military and the 'Greatest Generation' civilians here at home had a type of synergy and banded together to win the war. If that type of civilian sacrifice was needed today to win a war, we'd be in big trouble because too many people would not want to be 'inconvenienced'.

I did serve, but not on the front lines. mobius brings up a very interesting question and I'm anxious to see the response of those that were on the front lines.
  4. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

@mobius481

Here is my .02

#1. I have not watched the movie yet and I'm not sure if I will.

#2. I have read the book. Very intense.

#3. Interestingly enough I had this same conversation (or close enough to it) about the question posed in the OP about it. After reading the book I learned that there were a great many people that were not very happy with Luttrell for writing it. I am not a SEAL, never was, but I do know a few of them and have worked with members of SEAL teams as well as 18 Series (Green Berets for you non military folk) Mr. Luttrell clearly has the utmost respect for his brothers in arms that didn't make it off of that mountain but after thinking about it I really have to question his motivation for putting it in print and then allowing it to go to screen. It is a sensational story and I'm glad I read the book, I'm glad that so many others were able to read it because as the OP stated it lets us all in to the calamity that is otherwise known as war. The thing is, like it or not, there is a code that exist among the SPEC OPS community and as much as I really do like Marcus Luttrell, I think he violated that code. It would be interesting to me to find out where most of the proceeds from this movie go to. Wounded Warrior Project? Some other sort of veterans program? If so I will feel a whole lot better than if they are lining his pockets. As glamorous as the movie may be, always remember 4 Seals went up on that mountain and only 1 came back, duh, Lone Survivor. Just don't get so wrapped up that you forget those other guys.

#4. Like I said, haven't checked out the flick yet but if I had to answer the question from the OP "Is this the reality of war" well, from reading the book I can tell you that it was for them. It probably was for many of Vietnam War, Korean War, WW1 and 2 vet but with the advent of technology I can tell you that it really isn't the reality for what most of us have/will face on todays battlefield. This was one hell of a sensational battle that was brought about because of 3 wandering freaking goat herders. If you go back through the round table, maybe it was in FSA but I created a thread that talked about these guys shortly after I finished the book. The fact that in my opinion, this isn't the norm, that doesn't mean that war isn't hell. You have to be on top of your game every minute of every day and often times, if you are in a leadership position you have to be on top of a few others peoples games as well because they will let their head get away from them. If you don't, then the enemy will do it for them.

I could talk for days so I will just back away from the keyboard. Any questions just ask.
  5. fanatic

@shane0911 What is the code that exists in the SPEC OPS community? Is it something along the lines of not profiting from missions by writing books or something to that effect? Although it's unknown how much of the book/movie profits were donated, Luttrell does have a foundation of the same name (Lone Survivor Foundation) who's mission does help wounded warriors and their families.
  6. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

The short of it, what happens down range, stays down range.
    gyver and HalloweenRun like this.
  7. fanatic

Was just reading Luttrell's Wiki page and Luttrell has had some awful things happen to him. Although this doesn't compare to losing his brother's in arms, 4 men shot and killed a yellow lab that he was given during his recuperation that he names DASY, using the initials of his lost comrades. For no reason, they killed his dog, then taunted him about it when they were caught and arrested after he chased them across 4 counties. What fucking douchebags; which is actually an insult to douchebags.
    gyver and shane0911 like this.
  8. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

I did not know this and I agree, pretty shitty thing to do. I wish he would have been able to have a few minutes with those ass hats.
  9. islstl

islstl Occupy the BCS

10. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Thanks for the post. I guess it comes down to the motivation is what you're saying. Who knows if his charity is a good one or just one where he and his family get 100k/year jobs. You make an interesting point about the realities of war back in ww1 and 2, vietnam, and korea versus todays wars. I've often thought about that point.