Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Lone Survivor

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by mobius481, Jan 13, 2014.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

I cant really put my finger on it but something just doesn't feel right about it with me. This isn't to say it's right or wrong and until Luttrell does or says something to make believe he is less than genuine then he gets the benefit of doubt from me. I just think he would have been better off leaving it with the book.
  2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

The charity will be rated in a couple of years after it has the necessary amount of reports. The operations of any charity always tell the tale to me. And inefficient doesn't always mean bad. Just browsing through the charities officers, they look qualified and not related to him. I hope he's running it right because this movie will look really bad if he didn't.
    shane0911 likes this.
  3. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

Exactly, and I have no reason to doubt his credibility. I know there are some that are very critical of him but I think a lot of that comes from him expounding on his political opinions (which most of I agree with btw) in the book. Many in the media took great offense to some of the things he had to say and I think that is why they tried to attack him. Typical libs.
  4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I wanted to post before I read any of this thread, I can't help but feel ashamed for watching this movie. Which got me thinking, do the profits from this book and movie go to the fallen SEAL's families? If not I have a problem with Luttrell doing this. Can you imagine Murphy, or Deitz, or Axelson's wives/fiances and families seeing this shit. I can't even imagine.

Someone please tell me that their families were at least ok with this story being told to honor their memories. I really don't know what to think.
  5. LaSalleAve

So read the thread now and I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.
  6. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

You know, I think this is it. This is everything. If I remember correctly he (Luttrell) said in the prologue or some other part of the book that he had talked to the other families and they were all okay with it, the book. However I am almost certain that Murphy's Dad had some questions about some of his accounts. I can't imagine that some if not all of the profits from this won't go to them. The way I understand it he is making it pretty alright tooling around with the likes of Glenn Beck.

I'm still really torn over this whole thing. It is without a doubt a sensational story but a big part of me wishes it would have stayed with those 4 and those in the debrief.
  7. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun I'll try to be nicer, if you try to be smarter!

Shane is right. Nothing that happens in spec ops should ever be spoken of or come to light.

Looking at the fool in my avatar wearing a tin foil hat. Most of you would be dumbfounded.

I will not go to movie, I don't need to see bad shit happening to Anericans. Even actors portraying soldiers. Not a political statement, a personal preference.
    gyver likes this.
  8. sunnyjim

sunnyjim Veteran Member

My former spec-ops friend says that the SEALS have always liked it to leak that it was them when they are proud of a covert mission. Whereas Delta Force never wants anyone to know it was them. Witness the two special operations last October. The one in Somalia was immediately attributed to SEALS. The more successful one in Libya that nabbed a top Al Qaeda figure was attributed to unidentified US special operations forces.
  9. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

True, to an extent. Credit, sure, details and I mean all the details, not so much. A friend of mine once told me he met a guy that was Delta. I told him before he could get another word out that the guy was most probably lying. He asked me why and I said because you could live next to a guy for 40 years and never know that he is Delta. They will tell you they are a barber or a stock broker or bus driver but never will they admit that they are Delta. Just doesn't happen. Hell I've seen em, talked to em in theater when you know damn well they are Delta and they still won't admit it.

Funny story. When the operation that went down that killed saddams two sons ( almost assuredly a Delta op) We ( I just happened to be assigned to the CMD group) drove up to ground zero. "Someone" had the area cordoned off, we managed to get through there and at the house where the action went down there was a gate, a locked gate. Our Brigade CDR, a bird col. The one that would eventually take credit for capturing Saddam goes to the gate and starts with his "I'm so and so and I want in" The "someones" that were on the inside basically told him to go piss up a rope he wasn't coming in. He huffed and puffed and stuck out his chest and showed his little silver chickens and basically threw a temper tantrum right there in the street and those "someones" just sort of shrugged their shoulders and went about their business. We went back to the FOB with a very pissed off Colonel.
  10. LaSalleAve

They deserve credit as do all the brave few who serve.