Looking Ahead: What's your opinion regarding offensive philosophy in '05?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerEducated, Jan 25, 2005.

1. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

C'mon Broussard hits the hole quicker than anybody we got. And if there is not one somebody is gonna pay head down forearm up.

I know we all have I favorites but you can't take the speed to the hole away from AB.

2. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Blocking was the same for all three backs and only one was not productive. Work during the off season or someone else will take your job.

3. Veritas

Veritas Founding Member

Yes all backs did receive zone blocking, but you can't deny the fact that zone blocking was much more used in 2003.

4. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

No one can doubt it's ability to be effective. I just think we used it a little too often last season. Defenses were keyed-in on it after seeing it run 4-6 times a game.

I wouldn't mind if we still used it--but I would prefer it used in moderation.

5. BostonBengal

Anyone else get the feeling that with Miles' tendency to have a very solid running game, and with our stable of horses in the backfield, we can have our own version of "Mr. Inside and Mr. Outside"??? Broussard can surely be "Mr. Inside" and Addai and a rejuvenated Vincent (I think JV rebounds nicely afte going through a down year) will be "Mr. Outside(s)"?

I have a sneaky suspision that our running game increases from 200 ypg (tops in the SEC in '04) to around 230-250 ypg in '05. And while Miles' offense doesn't nec. call for the ball to be thrown 25-30 times a game, he'll put it up 15-20 times, but because of the success running the ball, he'll get the same yardage production (around 200-225 ypg) in the air as we did this past season, but he'll do it with less pass attempts.

His offense is set up to run right at you, wear you down by run, run, run and then launch...or...."let 'er rip!" downfield. I think we'll see a lot more pass plays go for 30+ yards in '05 than what we saw in '04.

Last season, Miles' passing attach was something like 8th in the nation in passing efficiency--meaning when he threw the ball, it was completed and for substantial gains more so than not. And he did that with a QB that's less talented than either Russell or Flynn and hopefully RP.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

BB, I just watched all of the film from the past 2 seasons and we averaged 4.7 bubble screens per game in 2003 and 1.8 last year. :wink:

7. BostonBengal

Outstanding annalysis and film work, cajdav1!!!!! .....want to be our defensive coordinator??? :D

8. veedo

veedo Founding Member

In those 1.8 times, how many times did we overthrow the reciever. I think the biggest problem with bubble screen last year was that our qb's couldn't throw the ball consistently.

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

veedo, I was just joking about actually looking at the film. I just had a feeling that we really didn't throw the bubble screen near as much in 2004 as we did in 2003 since as you noted, we couldn't even complete the darn thing, Russell thew them to high and hard, Randle threw it into the ground.

10. veedo

veedo Founding Member

I figured that much. I think we would have ran it more if we could complete the passes