Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Louisiana population vs those that migrated

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by lsu99, Dec 5, 2013.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Does anyone know if there is data available for people born in Louisiana that live elsewhere? Preferably broken down into various demographics.

Living in the Houston area for over a decade now with facebook helping to understand where people I grew up with live now, I've joked that half of south Louisiana now lives in Houston. Just curious what the numbers look like (not just Houston, but overall).
  2. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

From Louisiana. Live in Houston. I seem to know more native Louisianians living here than I do still living at home. By far. Got to go where there's jobs and they pay worth a damn. It's telling the LSU watching parties at Woodrow's are far larger than any around town for Texas, A&M, or any Texas school. It's been that way for years.
  3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Big Louisiana population in Dallas too. I'm sure those demographics grew significantly after Katrina and Rita, especially in Dallas and Houston.
  4. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

I just left Louisiana for Dallas. Louisiana is great but it really doesn't compare...
  5. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

I recently heard someone say that they went on a trip to Brazil. Said when he landed at the airport, he thought there was some sort of strange LSU game or something being held there because there were tons of people (who weren't together) wearing random LSU stuff.

He said he got to talking to someone in a bar and figured out that they are all workers from the oil field and most were from Louisiana.

I thought it was interesting.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  6. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Off topic a little, but I'm more likely to wear my LSU gear the further I get from Baton Rouge (especially out of country).

If I see someone with an LSU shirt in Baton Rouge or Lafayette, I generally do not say anything. In the Houston area, I usually say "Geaux Tigers" and leave it at that (unless they seem like they want to strike up a conversation). The couple of times I've seen someone with an LSU shirt or hat in another country, it becomes a much bigger deal.

Louisiana still has some of the best people in the country, even though a huge percentage of the most educated have left for jobs elsewhere. Hopefully that trend starts to reverse at some point.
  7. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Born in Missippi, grew up in BR.

Moved here to the SF Bay in May 1979 at 22.

Seems like more folks are moving out of Looziana than before, based upon folks that I knew growing up.

Gotta think that it's opportunity based, I still think the folks there are the best.
  8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I've been in DFW since the summer of '97. For a number of years, I thought I might end up back in Louisiana at some point, but after having kids, that really was no longer a valid option.

The public schools here in Plano are way too good to consider moving back to Louisiana and being forced to go the route of private education. There's just so much more opportunity and things to do.

I'm also spoiled by how convenient everything is up here--notwithstanding day five of Icemaggedon up here. Most people are complaining of being stir crazy from being iced in since Thursday--but I'm happy to be back at home after losing power at midnight on Thursday (didn't come back on until sometime during the night on Saturday.) We were forced to hotels Friday and Saturday night.
  9. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

At this point, depending on who you believe Louisiana is seeing net in migration. A massive boom in industrial construction is bringing in tens of thousands of workers and the industries that service industrial connstruction can't keep pace either.

The projections are for 40-50 thousand new jobs a year for the next 5 to 7 years. If most of what is planned comes to fruition Louisiana will look like what Georgia looked like in the 90s.
  10. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

Yup the standard of living is much better in DFW. I can see myself settling down and having kids here. I work in Frisco and that seems to be where a lot of new growth is. It's refreshing driving around not seeing any bad neighborhoods...at all. Kind of hard to believe after living in Baton Rouge before