LSU Flirting w/ a #2 Seed?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TejasTiger, Mar 1, 2006.

1. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

In the face of losses by Tenn, Duke, Texas this evening, I checked out the updated Bracketology and the "nitty gritty" report heading into the evening.

According to ESPN.com, LSU's the top #3 seed...with Texas losing tonight.

A possible #2? Wow, I'm speechless...:eek:

PS- Latest Bracketology would be outstanding: a #3 in Jacksonville v. Winthrop and likely NC State, w/ Sw. 16 and Elite 8 in Atlanta.

Perfect.

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Atlanta region would probably mean a matchup with Duke in the Elite Eight too! I don't see why LSU could not get a #2 seed with a strong showing in the SEC tourney. Beating Ole Piss and 2 wins in the SEC tourney could do it.

Ass, the joy of being a fan. We get to look so far ahead!

3. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

if lsu plays duke...I WILL be there....forget school, forget work, forget money...

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

decent shot at a 2. id be surprised at less than 3 if LSU beats OM and wins one in sec tourney.

looking at rpi you could argue lsu is top 6 (easy 2 seed). lsu is now at 8 and ut and pitt (at 6 and 7) have worse record in last 10. plus lsu over ut h2h and the sec championship should count a little. i also think you could argue for illinois and unc should be seeded higher than lsu (even though lower rpi.

the duke loss doesnt matter.

5. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I think we'll need to win the SEC tourney to get a 2 seed. Of course, much will depend on what the other top teams do in their conference tourney.

We're pretty much a lock for a 3 seed unless we somehow lose to Ole Miss and the first game in the tourney.

6. pheroy

pheroy Founding Member

This team has done an amazing job since SEC play started. Early in the season I felt there was a ceiling on how far they could go, but now... looking back on the games at UConn and Ohio State that we could have won, and where those teams are, there is no reason this team can't make the Final Four. I wouldn't predict it or be disappointed if not (less then 2 NCAA wins WILL disappoint me), but it's definitely achievable. This team seems to have great chemistry. The lack of really quality depth at guard is the one major weakness that I see, but teams that go 7-8 deep do well in the tourney all the time if they stay healthy.

As for the 3 big upsets last night, the conference tourneys and impact on seedings will definitely be interesting. Tennessee and Texas are at risk of losing their presumed #2 seeds. Duke's loss to FSU only affects FSU, which was on the bubble and is probably in now. Duke is still a #1 barring disaster, and I'm not sure they wouldn't be a #1 even if they lose to UNC and then their first ACC tourney game. They had a pretty big cushion as a #1, there just aren't enough other teams you could put in as a #1.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i think the amazing job this team has done in the sec this year is that they have won the close games and have beaten all the teams they should. that says a lot for a young team, but in the ncaa tourney you have to beat good teams. this team still needs to improve to consistently beat good teams. tasmin's recent performance is promising.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

But...but...but!

An early exit in the NCAAs should not negate the great season these young men are having. Unfortunately, for most "fans", it will.

9. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

it would

no early exit this year :thumb:

10. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Agreed. Losing a first round game as a #2 seed means losing to something like a Delaware St.

C'mon, even the Brady-haters (I prefer to call myself a Brady doubter sometimes, not a hater) don't think he'll lose first round as a TWO seed.

Right? :shock: