LSU Men's Basketball - 2013-14

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Oct 20, 2013.

?

With a top 4 SEC pre-season prediction, what best describes your attitude about LSU Mens' bball?

Poll closed Nov 10, 2013.
  1. Still going to follow LSU football and won't think about LSU basketball until January.

5.0%
  2. Cautiously optmistic--but I'll believe it when I see it.

40.0%
  3. Coach Jones is the real deal, I'm taking notice... I'll buy a ticket to see a game before December.

35.0%
  4. So psyched for basketball. I'm getting season tickets, and Football is only about A&M Bama now.

20.0%
  1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Appreciate the post. It appears we're both supporters of the program, just in different ways?

I say the Tigers underachieved, not just on SEC finish, but on my perception of talent level and reasonable expectations based upon that talent. Yes, some of that talent was young. But there should be a natural progression, assuming good consistent coaching, of improvement--based in part on talent being brought in and stability in a program. At the end of the day, we were 9-9 in the SEC again, after being 9-9 last year. We added 3 top 100 players in Martin, Mickey and Quarterman, to essentially a team with only one signficant departure (Carmourche). We had (besides UK and UF) UGA, Tenn, Arkansas and Missouri, finish "ahead" of us in the overall pecking order. None of these teams had the level of recruiting class that LSU hauled in, in the national spotlights. Now, you can say Tennessee was in a similar spot last year with a more experienced team and should have been above LSU. But, UGA? Arkansas is an interesting one, because frankly I was starting to sense some angst with Arkansas fanbase with a less than set the world on fire kind of recruiting and coaching job by Mike Anderson. LSU beat them soundly at home, and could have beat them on the road. Missouri is sort of a push to me, since we did beat them. Yes, I've defended the youth of this team as a cause for the inconsistency. However, losses to URI, and close losses in winnable situations against the likes of Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Georgia (twice), and letting the likes of these mid-tier teams score 75+ on you, were signals for concern. So, yes, I do think LSU underachieved a little bit--I'm also happy we're dancing now, still, despite it being the NIT. I just think we were 2-3 or so wins away from dancing ourselves, like Tennessee, who was by the way, up nearly 20 on a UMass team that we barely lost to.

I am trying to put my finger on the reason for this "underachievement" and I come to defense and inefficiencies on offense. These are things that I contend are affected by inexperience, but also player personnel, development and coaching. To the points above about blocking, I think that that is a red herring to larger defensive woes. We ranked 207th in defensive points allowed at 71 points ppg, and I think LSU's inability to really contain a guard heavy SEC led to it's downfall. While we had a nice frontline on paper of JOB, Mickey and Martin, the decent number of blocks (ranked 15th) are pretty and sensational, but they don't tell the story of fundamental, move your feet and keep your man from getting past you defense. We were better at rebounding (26th) and steals (30th) but our overall defensive FG% and points allowed tell a different story. I would contend watching the games that teams got into the lane too easy against the Tigers--it leads to too many lay-ups or kick outs to 3 point shooters. The ability of a backcourt line up of Hickey, Stringer, Coleman, Morgan and Quarterman to keep folks out of the lane, was a little suspect this season. I've made the points about the height of Stringer as a crutch, but moreso, I think there's a weakness of a fair amount of break-downs in perimeter defense. Frankly, I think that's why Jones went to the zone so much this year--if you're going to zone guard oriented offenses, though, at least consider mixing it up--a 1-3-1 or match up, perhaps. Jones should know based upon his legacy that there are times for the "freak" defense, where you adjust your zone to combat outside shooters. It was also interesting that with a guy as quick as Hickey was not as effective stopping the penetration. Often, Hickey would be screened, and we'd be late on help to stop initial penetration--we then relied on Mickey or O'Bryant bailing out interior shots with blocks. I think the part of this that will be interesting to see is if the perimeter quickness and tenacity improves with Hornsby and Gray being added to the mix, the maturation of guys like Quarterman and Hammink (who frankly, I would contend can become a better, longer perimeter defender), and the interesting call for someone like Martin or Bridgewater, who need to decide--do they bulk up to play down low, or slim down to play the 3. In short, on defense, we need a more disciplined, quicker and more aggressive defense.

On offense, I'd keep it simple, we ranked 168th in offensive FG%, and we were not a good FT shooting team. FT shooting is just players getting better at FTs--we left too many points on the line, and those points are the difference between easy wins and close wins and losses. Otherwise, we seemed to rely heavily on points down low (JOB) or three point bombs. Not a lot of stuff in between and not great movement throughout the offense court. We also didn't generate as much fast breaking opportunities as I would have expected. I think this is where another year with a good coaching staff and guys like Quarterman, Martin and Mickey, who are so young, is useful. You add Hornsby (a very efficient shooter) and Gray (a prolific scorer, slasher), and it'll be interesting. But, shoot a better FT% and develop better offensive awareness by our young guys and I think we'll be alright on offense. It's still the defense that I think can win us more games next year.

All of this said, there's still alot to be optimistic about. We're still playing ball right now, which most teams right now, can't say. Interestingly, I believe the SEC is still undefeated in post-season play.

... won't touch Trent or Bruce Pearl. We'd be here forever...

TigerTap and cajdav1 like this.
  2. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Can't help but wonder how our season might have been different had Ralston Turner elected to stay at LSU.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

40 % FG shooter, 70 % free throw shooter, sounds like he would have fit right in

4. TGer'nLHornLand

Not even a single post after the SMU game? Oh, my. KUDOS goes out to Coach Nikki Caldwell and the Lady Tigers who are still dancing, after upsetting #2 WVU last night.

As for CJJ's mens team? I was trying to let the dust settle a little bit. Found it interesting some of the post-loss postings by folks. Tigerbait/Rivals post: http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1624494. Sounds eerily similar to my earlier post about defense, eh?

Yes, defense lets this Tigers team down again, as a 10 point lead in the first half against the horseys leads to a 13 point loss in the second half when the chips were on the line. Yes, usually, when you are playing elite teams in any sports, offense is nice to have as window dressing, but defense wins championships. Frankly, that's a misnomer. I believe really, it's the fact that usually in sports good defense is predicated on hustle, heart, and "want to"--it's the ability, usually the easier one, to "exert your will" on the opponent. The ability to rely on a gut-deep desire to simply outplay the other man, and shut someone down. It's effort, and to some extent scheming for sure. But, it's one of those things that you CAN teach, but can't force. And, usually, the team that wants it more, wins.

What's interesting in the Tigerbait article is the parallels between Jones and Coach Brown. Interestingly, I always remembered Brown for his defensive coaching, his "freak" and his ability to get his usually less talented teams to play up. I think Jones maybe gets a little bit of a bad rap here in that high school players rarely come into college as good defensive players, because they are so used to just outscoring folks based upon size, ability and talent. When you have Quarterman and Martin relied upon for perimeter defense, there are going to be some growing pains. That said again, you just felt like some folks on this squad didn't exert that extra effort on defense needed to separate a LSU level team from say, a Florida level team.

What's also interesting, though, is finding that balance. Brady harped on defense, Rick Barnes harps on defense, Ben Howland harps on defense, Izzo harps on defense. Alot of those folks don't light the world on fire with their recruiting, when today's kids want to score, look pretty and go on to an offense happy NBA. I don't think Jones sold Ben Simmons or Josh Gray on LSU's style of play as being a defense first team. Yet, that is what led to LSU's underachievements this year as a team. I also think it's interesting what is said about "teaching" defense. I'm not close enough to the ground to know what defensive coaching is being conducted, but I wonder if a staff of Leonard, McCray and Patrick is equipped enough to teach that team defense that was a little lacking this year.

But, there are two sides to every coin. And, reading the LSU post-season notebook, http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticl...166&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209443724&DB_OEM_ID=5200, I think we still have to take away that Coach Jones in his first two seasons has the second-best overall win percentage at LSU in the first two seasons as head coach since 1926. Could he have made the tournament this year? Yes, he could. Did he improve the team and the program, this year? Yes, he did. Unlike Trent Johnson, who won the SEC in his first year with Brady's players and then struggled after that due to his recruiting, I think that CJJ's teams are going to get better and not worse, due to talent level. I think he just had to fight a little bit of pre-season hype because of his own strength, recruiting. Now, we look at how he exercises those skills as he has to convince guys like O'Bryant, Mickey and Martin to stay another year, to put in the work, and keep attrition from happening. In contrast, Brady and Trent seemed to always have (unwanted) attrition. So, if we're measuring LSU in terms of the much wanted, but never seemingly achieved, standard of program consistency and improvement--we can't fault Coach Jones at this point.

I personally think the ship is heading in the right direction. Could there be some tweaks here and there? Certainly. With another talented class coming in, and what may end up being a very interesting 2015 class already developing, I think we're not going to be complaining about recruiting. But, as with any sports program in Tigertown, if there's not something to complain about, what fun is it? Here's to hoping that the boys stay in school, and put in some hours trying to improve themselves over the summer and learn how to play better defense.

5. TGer'nLHornLand

Also, with the mens' season ended, I've got to look back at my official poll. Despite a pretty crappy sample size (and, I worry about the fanbase on here that even care about hoops), looks like the "wait and see"s had it. Some highlights this season included beating UK in the snow dome, some interesting pre-season moments, but then alot of "almost" beating folks. Overall nothing to cry about, a NIT birth, and some fun watching blossoming talent level in Jarrell Martin and Jordan Mickey start to transform this team. But, clearly still something missing to truly excite a dormant LSU hoops fanbase.

I will surmise that we still need that electrifying scorer, someone who isn't just a guy blocking shots (Mickey) or hitting stand-up threes (Stringer), to go along with what should be a very interesting frontline in years to come with Robinson, Mickey, Malone, Martin, Epps (and let's not forget O'Bryant--who frankly, could come back for a Senior year!). Unfortunately, the fanbase of LSU has been spoiled by the types of Pistol Pete, Chris Jackson, Randy Livingston, Marcus Thornton, and it's been a while since we had a guard who could just take over the game. Enter Josh Gray. Consider a Ben Simmons (who is frankly more of a do it all small forward). Add another top 50 kid in the 2015 class on the perimeter who can go along with Simmons and THAT marks the year when the PMAC is rocking again?

Footnote: Quiet on this board, but let's also not forget that Jones already has 2016 PG Skylar Mays also committed.

6. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

Sounds like its time to crank up a recruiting thread!

7. TGer'nLHornLand

Done my friend.... I know you have a lot to add here...

8. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

TnHL, as always, thanks for your input and enthusiasm. I debated about posting after the SMU game, but it was such a tale of halves, there wasn't that much to say. By mid-second half, it went from us potentially upsetting them at home, to the game not even being close. The score could have been much worse. SMU was playing with us late in the game and just running out time.

I very much look forward to the future of this team. I think it will be bright. As you say, we have established a quality foundation, and will be adding some sig. talent. Good things lie ahead, IMO.

9. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

I was disappointed in this past season but I'm still on board & looking forward to next year & I LOVE the recruiting JJ is doing so I just know it's gonna get better!

mrgreen21 and cajdav1 like this.