LSU Pro Day

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Mar 15, 2010.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Everyone did a little better than a few weeks ago at the combine for the most part.

Scott lost 4 pounds and 4.53 compared to 4.67.

I expected everyone to do a little better at LSU given the turf and that has been the theme the last few years.

Lafell ran a 4.55
    Keiland 4.51
    Jones a 4.54 and 11 reps on the bench this time.
    Holliday did not run the 40

Almost everyones hands and arms shrunk over the last few weeks. :lol:

Big winner of the day is Harry Coleman. Ran a 4.45 compared to his combine time of 4.65 and also ran the 3 cone in 6.90. Broad jump went from 8-11 to 9-10

S Danny McCray also had some impressive numbers such as 23 reps on the bench which was tied for the highest of the day with Al Woods.:shock: Ciron black also had 23 at the combine.

Here is the results page and * are the combine times.

2010 LSU Football Live Pro Day Scorecard - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics

2. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Our big guys bench numbers are not very good.

23 for Woods only beats 2 of the 20 tackles who lifted at the combine. Alems 18 would have been worst of the 33 ends at the combine. Dickson's 14 the same, worst for all TE's. Cutera's and Riley's lifts would have been bottom 3 at the combine.

Outside of McCray and RJ Jackson, most of our bench press numbers are in the bottom 1/4 when compared to the combine participants. Jones result pretty much debunks the debunk. 11 is low for a guy his size. Trindon did 10!

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

is it possible that lsu's strength program focuses on strength and not bench press reps. there is a difference. but i cant imagine the tigers are throwing large stones and lifting small cars for training.

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

upon reviewing the #s we've learned--

woods can jump out of the gym (37 inch vertical!)

mcray is very athletic. so there are no good excuses for his performance.

lafell is in trouble.

5. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I don't disagree with you, but I would think that this does translate to the field of play as not a good thing. I would imagine, and I am in no way sure, that the amount of reps equates to the stamina a player will have. It would seem logical to me that the reps = the similar to how many times you can, as a lineman, stay in the trenches against an opponent and keep a high level of strength throughout the game without weakening as the game goes. Which would make sense, especially since over the past couple of seasons we, LSU, have lost most of our games in the 4th qtr, and as some have pointed out we look tired and have no energy left.

I don't know if any of this actually plays any part, but it makes some sense to me. I know we have one of the best S & C programs in the country, but it just seems that something might be missing.

6. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

wow, maybe mccray should've been a LB. maybe that's why he can't cover.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i would be surprised if this applied to any football players even in high school considering their weightlifting experience, but i know that technique and experience can play a big role in bench success. if you take someone that has no bench experience, the weights they can lift and the # of reps they can do will go up fast. really too fast to be attributed to "strength".

8. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I can understand that to some degree. I am not saying our boys aren’t strong, but having bursts of strong does not equate to having endurance. Having the ability to lift more doesn’t mean they have the ability to endure 4 qtrs of a game. Which is what I am saying, that having the stamina to lift more reps equates to having the stamina to last longer at a high level of strength. Just because a player can lift 300 lbs/5 times doesn’t equate to consistently going head to head with a player who can lift 225 lbs/30 times. The player who can lift 225 lbs/30 will remain at a high level of strength longer than the player who can lift 300 lbs/5. Which, to me, would have that player who lifted the 225 last longer into a game being able to push the player who can lift 300 lbs. Like I said, I don’t know for sure but it makes sense to me.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I agree, he was our only hope of having someone go in the 1st round and it just went up in smoke. Sucks.

10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Lafell is not in much trouble. He did great considering he did most of the events and did all the routes with a pulled hamstring. He wanted to show the scouts he could work through it and I heard the scouts were pretty impressed.