LSU Recruiting in Context?

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by Bandit88, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

OK. I don't have the time, but maybe some of you smart guys already have a well developed (i.e. not out of your brown starfish) answer.

Placed in context with other years and other programs, how does LSU's recruiting stand up over the last few years, including our start this year? And what seem to be the implications of that? A break out to elite status in the nation (not just a couple of years, but the beginning of a dominant decade or so)?

Whaddaya think? I'm tired of all the RP boosheet and need a new topic...

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I called for the avalanche to begin at the end of last year's recruiting class after winning the NC. We really didn't reap any benefits from it other than Patrick Johnson who committed just days BEFORE we won the game (so the fact we were playing for the NC probably had a little to do with that).

The way Miles handled the Michigan situation and proclaimed his allegiance to the P&G has also paid big dividends. These young kids want to know that their head coach will be there for the duration. What is there not to like about a coach who is forthright and honest?

I do believe that we will now see the types of classes of the caliber of USC more often than not these next several years.

OOS kids wanting to come to LSU more than I can ever remember.

Top recruits showing more interest in LSU than ever before. That is fact.

It's the dawn of a new era. We have definitely taken it up a notch. A huge notch, at that.

3. jreed999

jreed999 Founding Member

Hell yeah! Got my popcorn ready.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

All of those things and more:

1. Saban put us back on the map by securing the state and of course by winning that national championship in addition to the facilities upgrades(especially the academic center)

2. Miles and his staff have taken up where Saban left off and actually become a more consistent winning program, and of course they brought us another national title.

3. Our coaching staff can obviously recruit like the dickens. I read so many great comments by recruits, parents and high school coaches about Lane, Peveto, Mallory, etc. To me this is the most important thing happening at this time, everyone of the recruits we're after have nothing but praise for the coaches recruiting them.

4. We get guys drafted to The League, and we also have several others sign each year and some stick.

5. The All American and All SEC lists make us even more attractive to possible Tigers.

6. TV Exposure---------We have to at or very near the top in national TV appearances over the past 5/6 years. Pretty much every game we play vs BCS competition has been on national TV, and we have had so many games on CBS it's ridiculous. Then add to that our success in bowl games so far this decade. I think we have lost what 2 games?

7. The uniqueness of LSU, we all know about this. Simply put, there really is no other place like it.

In my opinion we are pretty much viewed in about the exact same way FSU was being viewed by potential recruits when they were on that incredible run. Bowden as a matter of fact tried hard to incorporate a lot of what he learned by visiting LSU into his program to produce excitement amongst fans and recruits. He stole a little from several other colleges as well like USC with the guy on the horse. And he brought in a great coaching staff that loved to recruit, with him being the ultimate closer. Maybe Miles has become the ultimate closer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

There is no doubt we are riding the crest of the wave at this point. Looking at past programs and their greatness and also recognizing the current nature of CFB, I wonder how long we can maintain it? 5 years? 20? Longer?

Seeing that we have effectively "plugged in" coaching staffs over a 7 year period(admittedly, very talented staffs), what is the constant? Maybe these are questions for a different thread, but I am curious about how different things are now, compared to how they were. I want to be realistic and know we can't win 11+ games every year, but honestly, at this rate, what's to stop us??

The rich seem to keep getting richer.:)

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

If we stay on this track, I'd have to say 11+ win seasons could become the norm. Especially with a possibility of 14 games many times.

I think the differences from the 90's are the things we've already pointed out in this thread.

And I really believe we would have seen the same kind of successes in the 60's and 70's if Cholly Mac would have had a real offensive coordinator and recruited the black players in Louisiana earlier and more aggressively later on. Locking up the state is probably the most important part of the process.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

LSU has recruited on par with Florida, Georgia, Ohio St and Texas the past 5 or so years (USC, according to the services has been on a slightly higher level).

We all bring in solid classes year in & year out, with mostly "good" players who can develop, but a couple great players & a few questionable ones every year.

This year's class is an exception, because our entire class is made up of Great to very, very good players. Is this the beginning of a trend? Well, that mostly depends on our success on the field, so we'll have to wait & see.

Where LSU has seperated itself from the pack, IMO, is in recruiting depth and recruiting the right positions in each class to ensure depth. LSU is almost never relying on freshmen to make an immediate impact, and yet we've continued to have great success recruiting.

2 people like this.