LSU starters

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by EELSU1, Aug 13, 2002.

1. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

this is the current starting team as Buddy Songy sees it:

Offense

LT: Whitworth
    LG: Peterman
    C: Wilkerson
    RG: Sale
    RT: Reed

TE: Edwards

WR: Robinson/Myers
    WR: Clayton

QB: Mauch

RB: Toefield/Davis

FB: Lee

----------------------

Defense

DLE: Spears
    LT: Dawson
    RT: Lavalais
    RDE: Hill

SAM LB: Lawrence
    MIKE : James
    WILL : Turner

LC: Hoofkin
    FS: James
    SS: LeJeune
    RC: Gay

Other thoughts (all JMO):

This looks like an excellent team to me, and there is depth sprinkled in everywhere, especially at RB and WR.

IMO LSU will be:

BETTER on the OL (than last year).
    SAME at WR
    BETTER at RB
    LESSER at QB

SAME on the defensive line
    LESSER at LB
    BETTER in the secondary

BETTER on special teams

Other thoughts, JMO:

Wilkerson has added 30 pounds, and maintained his agility. He could be one of the best OL in the league this year. With Smalling off the team, and Comeaux out because of medical reasons, there will be healthy competition for one of the tackle slots between Whitworth, Niswanger, and maybe one of the true freshman (McGill or Wibel)

Even with losing a talent like Josh Reed, LSU has 6 WR's who can play. Lindy's rates LSU's receiving corp the best in the SEC.

LSU's RB trio are as good as LSU's had since the 80's, with the exception of Faulk/Collins/Mealey. The coaches are very high on Joe Addai, but he may have a tough time getting on the field if Toefield can remain healthy.

Mauch is piloting a steamliner. He should be successful this year, and his leadership skills have impressed his coaches and teammates. The team achilles without question is an injury to Mauch.

Spears should have a breakout year. He wasn't a top 10 recruit nationwide for no reason. He is an awesome physical specimen.

Cameron Vaughn may be the true freshman who gets the most playing time in 2002. Saban has commented on his intelligence, and attention to detail.

LSU will dramatically improve in the secondary in 2002. Travis Daniels will be on the field a lot. Ronnie Prude, Keron Gordon, and Jason Spadoni have impressed the coaches in camp.

Adrian Mayes may be the team's best special teams coverage player, but Ryan O'Neal will have something to say about that. Shyrone Carey or Bennie Brazell will return a kickoff for a TD this year.

Saban won't redshirt as many players as he did last year, and with the 12 game season (and possibly 14) there will be more true and RS freshman seeing playing time.

2. J_Oats

J_Oats Guest

good post

I disagree with some of your position analasis(wow i cannot spell) I don't know how you can say they will be the same at WR, Josh reed was truly the most dominating reciever I have ever seen in my life, the man was ALWAYS open, always. it was so incredible to watch him. When you lose the best reciever this school has ever had, you cannot be the same next year. The WR's will be very good this year. I think both Shyrone Carey and Skyler Green could be a poor mans josh reed in the future (a poor mans josh reed is still one hell of a reciever.) they are both just as quick, not as strong, but faster.

Also, the LB's will not be the same as they were last year. Middle linebacker will probably be as good or better as it was last year, and same with SAM, but WILL won't be as good.

Anyone know what torran williams is doing, he was supposed to be the best JC defensive lineman, now is he even cracking the two deep?

Do you guys see Adrian mayes taking over at one of the saftey spots next year, he's so damn talanted, he's got to break through eventually.

3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

My thoughts about the WR's is that LSU is as deep as it's been in a long time at the position. Of course it remains to be seen if Mauch can deliver the ball as well as Davey did. But Lindy's ranks LSU # 1 in the SEC at WR with good reason.

Josh Reed played great last year, and he was the first option, yet I can easily see Michael Clayton being an excellent # 1 option. He's one of the best players LSU's ever had at any position IMO, and if he doesn't get hurt he'll star in the NFL. Then you take Myers, a healthy Robinson, Brazell and Henderson, plus the players you mentioned (Carey, Green), and you're looking at receivers who can spread the field.

Brazell and Henderson add speed and the deep option (which Clayton had already provided), but of course Mauch has to be able to get it there.

As for Torran Williams, he was redshirted last year, so he has 2 years left.

4. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Bennie Brazeal (sp?) is FAST . He just helped the LSU Men's track team win the National Championship!

5. roygu

roygu Founding Member

I don't think it is a stretch to state that our WR core will be as good or better. We have two guys, Myers and Robinson who have started since freshmen. Myers put up some pretty good numbers as a freshman and contnually improved his reliability. Robinson made some great catches his first couple of years although he was prone to drop a few. Clayton maybe the best freshman WR ever to play at LSU. Put twenty more pounds on Clayton and, with his attitude, he would be lethal. We haven't seen Brazzeal play, but Saban and Fisher have indicated that he may be the surprise of the receiving core. No doubt that Davey and Reed were the most potent pass/receiving combo ever at LSU but they both had sme weaknesses. It is yet to be determined if Clayton and Brazzeal's talents can surpass that level.
    In regards to the linebackers, none of the coaches have voiced a concern so I expect outstanding play from those guys. I think if there is a dropoff is will not be noticeable because of the increase in talent along the DL.

6. BBF Admin

BBF Admin Guest

The linebackers will be just fine. That is if they can stay healthy. Turner still has to prove himself on the field, but he is an outstanding athlete.

If someone is injured though, that's when the questions should begin. Nothing but raw undeveloped talent behind the first three.

Cameron Vaughn needs to add a few pounds (he is 226 now, coaches want him around 235), but other than that he has looked great in practice.

As for the receivers, I don't think it would be possible for them to be BETTER than they were last year, but this may be the deepest group to ever play at LSU.

They go about 8 deep, all could start at many schools. Skyler Green will be very hard to keep out of the mix. He is one of those special type of athletes that don't come along very often.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

<<< Also, the LB's will not be the same as they were last year. Middle linebacker will probably be as good or better as it was last year, and same with SAM, but WILL won't be as good. >>>

J Oats, Coach Saban agrees with you as far as the LB's go - I read a quote from him last night from the P&G football guide where he said in the spring that "Bradie James was outstanding in the spring but I don't feel as a (LB) corps were we as good as we were in the past."

My hope is Lionel Turner pleasantly surprises (the coaches have been very happy with his play), and that a freshman emerges, but I'm going to have to agree with you and Saban, and revise.

8. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

<<< Also, the LB's will not be the same as they were last year. Middle linebacker will probably be as good or better as it was last year, and same with SAM, but WILL won't be as good. >>>

J Oats, Coach Saban agrees with you as far as the LB's go - I read a quote from him last night from the P&G football guide where he said in the spring that "Bradie James was outstanding in the spring but I don't feel as a (LB) corps were we as good as we were in the past."

My hope is Lionel Turner pleasantly surprises (the coaches have been very happy with his play), and that a freshman emerges, but I'm going to have to agree with you and Saban, and revise.

(whoops, I posted that post as unregistered, apologies)

9. Bayou Beast

Bayou Beast Freshman

I think that the running back core and receivers core are extremely talented. They have big play ability and the every down durability to wear down defenses. Mauck is not Davey, but he doesn't have to be. He has great pocket awareness and if very capable of leading this team. The defense will be much improved. The D-line should be able to provide a much more consistant pass rush while continuing to stop the run. The DB's are going to surprise alot of people. They got burned alot last year, but in their defense when you allow the QB lots of time you can only cover guys so long. I think the starters are as solid as any teams and its nice to finally have some depth at positions we have been prone to injuries in the past.