LSU - UT 59-54 loss

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JayB, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

I think CTJ is a good coach, no doubt. I like his focus on defense - LSU clearly is a hustling, ball-hawking team.

Recruiting bothers me, but as has been said - he's only really had one recruiting class to pull in, and this next one looks A LOT BETTER.

Izzy is right - one player makes a huge difference in basketball, AND a freshman can definitely be that one player.

And yanking Izzy's chain is my job. Take a walk, GO SAINTS.

2. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Sixteen points in the 1st half is atrocious and I don't care what level you are playing. My sons 9th grade team put that up tonight and in 8 less minutes in a half.

We have to find some scorers besides Taz and Spenser. I was pumped at the way we came back a made a game of it. It's coming...we can taste it.

3. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

:huh: Wondering if you're really straight-laced and this means nothing to you, or you just posted really, really quickly and didn't reread it...:lol:

Or, you meant it. In which case I won't ask if you don't tell (for the next few months, at least....)

4. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Was out of pocket some of this week, and wasn't able to watch the UT game, nor post about basketball. But, having heard about the game, and seeing some of these posts, I have to continue to trumpet some of the things I've been saying all along.

First, I have to share today's Advocate article, timely given Calipari's arrival in B.R. today, about Johnson's views on one-and-done players, his recruiting philosophy and what's in store for us... 2theadvocate.com | Sports | Johnson talks about players leaving early — Baton Rouge, LA. It kills me that Trent continues to get "heat" for his recruiting philosophy. Look, I think reading his interview that Trent is clearly trying to build consistency and stability in a program... that was largely I believe LSU fan's biggest complaint with Brady (besides his sourpuss, less than classy demeanor). To an earlier post, it is VERY FEW programs that can truly win based upon recruiting with a one and done mentality. In fact, it's somewhat of a misnomer, because even teams like UNC, Kansas, Duke, recruit McD AA who would LIKE to be one and done guys, but end up staying 3 or 4 years. Calipari, however, and maybe a few other programs like UCLA (and you can see what happened to them this year), maybe are a different breed. I think you'll actually see UK drop off considerably next year... Wall, Cousins and Patterson will all be gone. They'll live and die with Bledsoe, and whomever else Cal can sign quick late in the season, who's hanging around hoping for a one-and-done opportunity. Now, you can debate whether that's GOOD for your program, but by and large LSU IS NOT THAT KIND OF PROGRAM and hope for any consistent success with that formula.

Second, let's not continue to make the characterization that Trent's NOT recruiting well. While it took him some time, look this 2010 class is pretty darn good and part of the reason there isn't more fanfare, is that there hasn't been a Greg Monroe type of player coming out of LA in the past couple of years. And, unlike Brady's classes, it's DEEP and its balanced, with kids that could stay at LSU 3 or 4 years and get better and help out. You add to it a kid like K-C Ross Miller, who's been visiting LSU campus (and another top 150 PG), and you could have 5 signees who are top 150-ish material, PLUS Malcolm White as a transfer. You've got to commend Trent and staff for the job he's done. Go and read the quotes by Miller's dad, who's also the coach at Miller's hoops prep academy in Dallas--he's an admitted hoops guy from Indiana and he praises CTJ (http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1048547). Basketball guys in the know, say these things about CTJ (when's the last time a high school coach or kid's parent said that about Brady), and solid recruits will get that.

Lastly, you look at this year's team and the job that CTJ is doing. Sure, 0-8 is not looking that good right now. But, do people really realize what CTJ's is playing with? First he's got only like 8 scholarship players (you can debate why that is, but most reasonable folks will come back to Brady's lack of deep consistent recruiting a few years ago leads to this ... http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1046944). You've got injuries. You've got kids that were supposed to perform, underperforming. You've got the fact that 3 out of the 5 kids on the floor at any given time may be walk-ons. You can look at it as, boy the kids out there are not playing very well, or as, boy, Trent has kids like Populist, Beattie and Kinsley (all walkons) hanging with McD AAs from Tennessee or Kentucky. I think you've also got to realize that this LSU team is NOT going to beat anyone playing fast or getting into a shooting contest. By definition this team has to play "ugly" and keep the other team in the 50s or 60s to have a chance to win. Hence, slow play, working the shot clock down and trying to find the best shot. Next year, when you add Stringer, Turner, Derenbecker (hopefully Miller) who can all shoot or score, and you've got a different story.

Let's be patient boys. The silver lining this year is I would be excited for Tasmin Mitchell, who came back to LSU (in large part b/c of CTJ), and has a chance to go down in history as the second highest LSU scorer ever (passing Rudy Macklin, who will be honored today at the UK game). I'd be encourgaging of kids like Spencer, Bass, Dotson, Warren, Harris, Green, who need the support to get them going, to learn and get better for next year--they will continue to be needed for continuity of the program. Because under Johnson, the goal is not immediate wins but to change the face of LSU basketball. Watch these kids, and let's remember that these kids are freshmen and sophomores who have a good chance of getting better if they stay with CTJ for a few more years....and we'll see a LSU program that hopefully won't have peaks and valleys any more, but a consistent winner (again, like in Macklin's time!). :geauxtige

5. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

:huh: Huh?

:wave:

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

sad to say, but probably the best game of the year. dribble penetration?!!! icouldnt believe it. this team wouldve won a few sec games with this type of play. bass may turn out to be a decent player. he still cant hit the broad side of a barn, but he has a good enough handle to penetrate. that will open up the perimeter (not sure they can hit though). still way to many contested jumpshots.

unfortuantely their best shot at a sec w was auburn. too bad uk and ut were at home, it would have been better to get some of the worse sec e teams at home. theyll get a w or 2 if they like this, but i think some of it was playing uk.