LSU v Mississippi St: Who's on the Hot Seat?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Feb 5, 2011.

1. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

Man i've seen some boxing out, points in the post and Stringer getting into the lane... Still alot of mistakes crazy shoots, stupid fouls but they are looking better

2. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

Matt D is on fire... Still lacking on D tho

3. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I'll take any improvement at this point.

4. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

We're playing better overall, just gotta finish games now. Learning how to win is the hardest part for any young team.

5. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Ugh. Another ugly ugly finish. This team shuts down in the final few minutes it seems. Derenbecker was on fire behind the arc, and they couldn't seem to get him the ball down the final stretch.

After a bit of research, here is how the team is performing in the final 3 minutes of each game.

@Ole Miss: 0 points
    MSU: 0 points
    USC: 3 points (0 FGs)
    @Bama: 4 points (1 FG)
    @Tennessee: 6 points (2 FGs)
    Ole Miss: 3 points (1 FG)
    @Kentucky: 0 points

Granted, in four of those games, the game was over at halftime, but that is still 16 points in 7 games.

More importantly, only 3 points in the last 3 games where scores actually mattered to finish the game, and those three points were free throws. I can only hope that this is directly related to the youth (and likely is).

On the positive side, LSU shot 45%, which is easily the best they have shot in... well, too long.

6. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

It's coming though. They play with good intensity and it sometimes turns into mistakes. Once they get over that it will be a good game beginning to end.

7. Berge

Berge Founding Member

LSU continues to impress.

Down 18 points at halftime (14-2 run by Arkansas). LSU has 14 turnovers in the first half.

40-22

8. lsudolemite

I'm honestly starting to wonder if the team practices offense at all anymore. They'll play a solid defensive possession, grab a board, and then look completely clueless and confused on the other end. This may be worse than the post-FF team where Big Baby got the ball in the post and 4 other guys stood around doing nothing.

This kind of play is becoming more and more difficult to defend. Young team or no, there should be some sort of team progress at this point in the season, and in some respects we seem to actually be regressing. If this repeats itself next season Trent's seat is going to be melting underneath him.

9. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I'm in favor of making a change at the end of this season. The recruiting has not been good enough to win in this league, and we cannot afford for that lack of recruiting to continue another year. O'Bryant and Isaac are not going to win you any SEC titles.

Regardless, firing the coach may not help the attendance problem until we start winning for consecutive years. We didn't sell out during the FF year until they gave the tickets away for 5 apiece against Georgia. :rolleye33:

10. lsudolemite

Still way too premature for that IMO for a lot of reasons. But there needs to be some big leaps forward next season. At some point the "young team" excuse will have run its course.

There's not gonna be consistent anything if we're firing coaches every 3 years. But I agree that's what it will take to get attendance up. Yet another conference blowout won't help that.