LSU vs WSU in Seattle

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SW Wa Coug, Dec 20, 2009.

1. SW Wa Coug

SW Wa Coug Go Cougs!!!

No basketball threads on the first page? No love for your basketball program? Just all about football? Interesting.

Good Luck Tuesday night. Should be a fun, competitive game.

Don't know much about LSU basketball personally, but took a look at current stats and see you have a couple of forwards that do a great job on the boards. Most of your roster is from your local region. Your coach is from Seattle (which I find interesting) so this is a homecoming for him. Trent's a good coach so I'm expecting to see a very disciplined LSU team that gets after it on D.

We're really young with only one senior, a non-starter, and no juniors on the roster. Our kids come from all over the world. Historically, we get very few of them from the Seattle area, which is currently a hotbed for basketball talent. Klay Thompson is a sophomore shooting guard from California that is in the top 10 nationally in scoring. DeAngelo Casto is fun to watch (shot blocker), but we don't have much beef in the front court. Reggie Moore (one of the few from Seattle) is a very athletic freshman PG who can score and dish equally well. Our first year coach Ken Bone likes our kids to run and substitutes liberally.

Against Portland State yesterday we shot 13-16 from behind the arc, setting a school record for percentage. Overall I think we shoot close to 50% and around 40% from three. I'm not expecting tons of open looks from anywhere against LSU. Most of your game scores are in the 60's so I think we're going to have to show some patience and not force things to be successful.

I'm really looking forward to the game as I'll be attending. Should be a good, lively crowd. Thousands of Coug alumni and students reside in the Seattle area. I think Key Arena holds about 13,000 or so. I'd call it a toss-up at this point, have no idea what the current line is.

Again, Good Luck Tuesday night and Happy Holidays to all Tigers. Geaux Cougs!!!

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Admittedly, its a bit hard for many of us to get fired up for basketball until the bowl game is over and the SEC schedule begins in January, but WSU is far more interesting that the cupcakes we've played so far.

3. SW Wa Coug

SW Wa Coug Go Cougs!!!

Good luck in your bowl game. Here's hoping the Cougs put a lump of coal in your Xmas stocking.:yelwink2:

4. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

We tend to support and discuss the more successful programs here more so.

For example, we won the CWS this year and the BCSNC in 2007.

We last made the Final Four in 2006, and won our last college hoops championship in 1936, and it was a mythical championship at that.

Just sayin'.... :geauxtige

5. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Our last coach was allowed to stay around and erode fan support for about 5 years more than he should have been. Can you imagine a CTJ-led LSU program since 2002? Bass/Davis/Thomas/Mitchell/Augustin/Monroe/Thornton?

I'm thinking multiple national championships.

6. SW Wa Coug

SW Wa Coug Go Cougs!!!

I'm a huge baseball fan and I am well aware of your program. You should be very proud of what you've been able to accomplish winning the CWS. I'm very envious. Our baseball program at Wazzu isn't too shabby but doesn't live up to any comparison to LSU's at this time.

Don't want to go into any comparison of football programs even though we've had our share of success over the years. We're not a football factory and have never pretended to be one either. A look at NFL rosters will show you that we've had numerous talented kids go thru our program.

Anyway, for us Cougs, it's all about basketball this time of the year and are looking forward to playing you in Seattle.

7. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Gotcha.

Didn't wanna chest thump too much, just tryin' to explain why we don't talk hoops much here.

We have a number of folks here that disappear after national signing day, only to return for summer camp.

I've always liked Wazzoo, would like to see your teams be more competitive in the PAC.

I have relatives that have lived in Spokane and Coeur D'Alene for many years and I love the area, have visited several times during the glorious summer up there.

I'd probably live there if there was more to do and it didn't get so cold in the winter.

8. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Thanks for posting! There are a FEW of us who follow hoops religiously and post on it, but the combination of as was said earlier, "cupcakes" during a holiday week run, and the fact that actually this is a "rebuilding" year for Trent Johnson, has led to a some what subdued Tiger fan base for hoops. Watch out in 2010-11, when the Tigers welcome a top 20 recruiting class and some of the key younger kids from this year's team will have another year under their belts.

I have to respect WSU though, and will look forward to what should be a good test for our Tigers. Largely b/c it's on the road against another semi-"unknown" Pac10 team (we didn't fare too well against Sendek's ASU team). With Bennett gone, I'm interested to see what the new coach installs as a base. Traditionally WSU competes with "mid-tier" talent in the Pac10, but is known for playing hard. Thompson is the real deal, but who else does LSU really have to watch?

What worries me about LSU's chances are: (1) playing on the road pretty far from home, and (2) not a particularly tall or deep LSU bench. If WSU can neutralize the key players for LSU, it can be a long night for the Tigers, although as the season has gone on, some of LSU's younger role players are starting to step up.

WSU is sort of rebuilding too, though, and so honestly, it's a toss up game. But, a game that both teams would like to win to build on.

Good luck!

9. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

were you the wazzou representative that brought the flag to espn gameday this year??

10. LesMilesFan

LesMilesFan Founding Member

I walked by Key Arena when I was in Seattle for the football game. I put a little Gris Gris on it. Your boys are in trouble. :hihi: