LSU-Wake Forest baseball game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by stevescookin, Feb 11, 2011.

1. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

When LSU plays Wake Forest on February 18, We should all be very respectful of the Wake Forest team during pre game introductions and perhaps give a standing ovation to their coach Tom Walter.

Tom is a former UNO baseball coach who ended up at Wake Forest after Katrina when UNO had to drop down to DivIII because of budget constraints.

Tom represents what we all want LSU athletics to be about.

Wake Forest baseball coach donates kidney to player - USATODAY.com

"When we recruit our guys, we talk about family and making sacrifices for one another," Walter said prior to the operation. "It is something we take very seriously. I had the support of my family, Wake Forest and my team. To me it was a no-brainer."

"I saw some of the things that happened down in New Orleans and how Coach Walter worked through that," said Keith Jordan, Kevin's father. "What really sold us is when we met him, you can look a person in the eye and see if they mean what they say. When you look at everything that has happened, to wind up at Wake Forest with a man like Coach Walter, it's like divine intervention."

Walter hopes to be discharged from the hospital on Thursday and travel with the team when it opens the season Feb. 18 at LSU

:thumb:

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I saw this story and thought the same thing. Walter definitely has earned a pre-game show of respect.

3. tigerfan1974

tigerfan1974 Veteran Member

Great story...A man like that has a very humble heart. A standing ovation would be very respectful, but make it short and sweet. To go overboard would be disrespectful to him.

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

So Majerus got sanctions for giving a kid a pizza and this guy gives a kidney and the NCAA is silent?

5. SonnyLoco

SonnyLoco Founding Member

I am just OVERLY GLAD to see a baseball thread again. Oh the boys of spring are back. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

6. 1BIGTIGER

1BIGTIGER Founding Member

CLASS ACT is all I can say about the guy! I am just glad to see the sun shinning and warm weather! LSU baseball is like the cherry on top!!!:tigereye:

7. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I, also, was wondering if that was going to violate some NCAA rule concerning "in kind payments" to an athlete.

If not, I bet they'll have a committee formed to promulgate regulations concerning organ "brokers".

I can just see Kiffen, Orgeron, Urban Meyer and Nick Saban telling potential recruits that "There's plenty of livers for your mom over at USC, Florida, Tuscaloosa......"

:wink:

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Time for my annual words of caution:

This is baseball. We might lose a few. It's OK.

9. married2atiger

married2atiger Founding Member

How dare you speak those words! You should be overly confident that this years team will go through the season unbeaten and win the first one in the new CWS stadium. You sir are not a true fan! GEAUX TIGERS!

10. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

[​IMG]

I guess baseball fans are still hibernating. No play by play, no discussion, nada.

We won all 3 against Wake Forest this weekend. Had a couple of Freshmen pitchers pick up the wins yesterday and today. In fact, McCune today pitched a one hitter in his 6 innings of work. And our homers today came with people on base. Mikie and Mason Katz both launched 3 run homers. So much for composite bats.