LSU's QB issues...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by USNavyTiger, Jun 12, 2005.

1. USNavyTiger

USNavyTiger Founding Member

For the 2005 season it looks to be JaMarcus Russell that will play the QB role,
    but what about 2006 and 2007?

What are the options?

I think it will pan out like this:

JR plays this year, matt flynn holding mop up duty for the first couple games...
    I think MF will also catch balls for the kicker to kick.

And, next year do you think JR will try to go pro? Leaving Matt Flynn/ RP at the helm?

RP will most likely come in later in the season for a game, for a couple of series' burning a redshirt.
    Call me crazy but I don't think RP really cares to play 4 years at LSU.
    Much less five, I just don't see it happening. he seems like a aggressive "NOW" type of guy, ready and willing to take the bull by the horns, ready to already play at a higher level before even playing at the college level...

And if its up to him, he'll even try his damndest to take the starting role as QB.

Here's another issue..

INJURIES: what If could be a killer question...
    what if JR got hurt?
    what If MF transfers?
    what if RP starts and doesnt do so well?

then you got the 2007 season with this Alex cate guy coming in...

Whats everyone elses take on this? any ideas to what you think is going to happen with the QB situation? I don't think ANY other team in america has this kind of QB debacle... Its almost a good problem to have... :hihi:

2. USNavyTiger

but he's only a sophmore? right?

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

And I'm sure we can count on you screaming for Miles' head.

4. LSUAthletics

LSUAthletics Founding Member

I think JR has a long way to go just to prove that he can be a good college QB much less make it in the pros.

5. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

redshirt sophmore.. thats 3 years out of hs...

6. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

I am not concerned about JR turning pro anytime soon. He has a lot of maturing to do and if he can't hold of RP he won't make it anyway. In my mind the year he would have to have for him to go high is unattainable.

RP should not want to BURN a shirt if he is not needed. If he goes in for mop up the speed of the game won't be there so he won't learn anything that he didn't get with the headsets on.

With the talent we have a RB and WR, IF the line can give protection, JR should have the support staff he needs for everyboday to be sucesssful.

I don't know what I am goig to be doing in '07 let along the two QB's

7. USNavyTiger

good point.

8. max

max Founding Member

I seriously doubt Russell would declare. Redshirt sophomores almost never declare. Rex Grossman and Torry Holt being exceptions

He would have to have an amazing season as would the team. I just think the chances of that happening are less than 1%.

9. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Guys, guys, we're not talking NBA prospects here. Declaring early for the NFL is vastly different, a whole different animal, so to speak.

Setting aside the purple and gold-tinted glasses for a minute, why on earth would Russell turn pro next year? Matt Leinart who, honestly, has accomplished about a hundred times as much as Russell and is a sure-fire top three pick next season, is coming back for his *senior* season...after winning 1.5 national titles and a Heisman.

By comparison, even if Russell is lights out and leads LSU to a national title, he'd be coming off a redshirt sophmore season and trying to enter the draft. Unless I'm suffering from massive amnesia, I can't think of any talented QBs who have come out prior to (not following) their junior seasons in recent years...well, except for Vick, but he's pretty special. Also, thanks to the Akili Smiths, Ryan Leafs, Kyle Bollers, etc., of recent drafts, NFL types are cool to QBs who bust out and have only one good to great year on their collegiate resume.

If JR busts out, best thing for him to do is stay and do it again...unless he doesn't think he's good enough to keep Perrilloux on the bench next year. If he played another position, sure, coming out makes more sense, but QBs are a different breed b/c they're so hit and miss in the NFL.

JR leaving for the draft next year? That's crazy talk, IMO.

10. conradj

conradj Founding Member

I think we see JR as the full time starter with RP getting 1 or 2 predesignated series a game.......Greene/Shockley......LaFors/Brohm.