LSU's Thomas dazzling in drills

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by gotlsu, Jun 12, 2006.

1. gotlsu

gotlsu Founding Member

Forward sees no limit to potential

By Marlen Garcia
    Chicago Tribune staff reporter

June 10, 2006, 9:43 PM CDT

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Tyrus Thomas came across as shy and reserved Saturday when he and several other potential lottery picks for the June 28 NBA draft met with reporters at a resort.

But earlier, during individual testing, Thomas was said to be off the charts with enthusiasm and athleticism.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    "He's a crazy athlete," Connecticut's Rudy Gay said. "He can do so many things."

This no doubt will impress the Bulls, who are considering selecting Thomas with the No. 2 pick.

Thomas, a 6-foot-9-inch power forward from LSU, and Gay, a 6-9 small forward, were striking with their running vertical leap, players said.

"They really impressed everybody," Ronnie Brewer of Arkansas said.

In interviews, Thomas had little to say, but he left no questions about his confidence.

Asked about the ceiling for his potential, he said: "If I keep working hard, there's no limit. You can't limit yourself. If I tell you I can only reach a certain point, I'd be belittling myself."

Last fall, Thomas was just about the only person who believed he could make it to the draft. He had missed his first college season as a medical redshirt and wasn't expected to flourish in his debut season. He ended up helping Louisiana State reach the Final Four.

"A lot of critics didn't [think so] because they weren't in the gym," Thomas said. "They watched the games, but they don't watch the 9 and 10 o'clock workouts at night when you're in the gym by yourself, rebounding for yourself and going hard."

LSU coach John Brady has expressed concern about the cultural and social shock awaiting Thomas wherever he goes because Thomas, 19, never has lived outside the Baton Rouge area. Thomas said his coach shouldn't worry.

"I can handle myself wherever I go," he said.

Bulls general manager John Paxson has said he doesn't see such situations—young players leaving home for the first time with money to burn—as a major problem.

"There are issues with every young player that any team has to acknowledge and deal with," Paxson said earlier in the week. "This is the first year you don't have high school kids in the draft, but they're still young players. You make sure there is a support system in place."

Copyright © 2006, The Chicago Tribune

2. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Ah, if only Ty was "off the charts" with his "enthusiasm" during the National Semifinals...well, it had to be said, sorry.

Now that I got that out of the way---best of luck to you, Ty. I think going to the Bulls will be a great fit for you!

3. clair

clair Rockets

he was active when he was in the game

Brady just decided that it was best to not play him the entire 2nd half for whatever reason