Lucky clothes, and superstitions

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Nov 6, 2002.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I read another board that had a thread about this, and I was curious if I am the only true idiot in the US...

I have an outfit that is undefeated. When I went home for the Citidel I replaced the shirt and hat with a new set I traded for at Tiger Mania. I never strayed from last years jeans, socks and skivvies and kept wearing the new shirt and hat during such glory days as FLorida, MSU and USC.
    However the jeans, socks and skivvies have been worn to every game I have attended and to be very honest I had a different hat and shirt on for the VT game..

Now onto Auburn, my wife explained to me I was an idiot because I was very nervous about replacing the flag that flies in front of my house with a new one I traded for at Tiger Mania the week of the USC game. Real fancy one, all stitched and what not. She said "Its not the clothes or the flag honey, LSU is good because they have good players. Not because some buffoon in Texas wears the same outfit every Saturday" I was stunned at the unwarranted attack on my person. So I said, Maybe she is right I am foolish, so I replaced the flag and put on a white LSU hat I have never worn and a Grey LSU football shirt my brother gave me for my B-Day. Something different right, nice new stuff, my brother got it for me. Happy Happy Joy Joy....

We all know the Auburn result - Needless to say the flag is back in the garage and I am praying the Gods can forgive me for my transgression. The white hat, and shirt are now in the backyard used as dog toys. (Sorry Brother, I had to do what I had to do, I had to cast out the demons)

The purpose of my post, am I the only one who has a lucky set of clothes that is worn during every LSU game. Or a shirt of Hat that has "Been good to us" as I like to say. Yes I know it is silly but seriously all was good until I changed that damn flag, my friends here and the great people of Louisiana have suffered for it ;)

Seriously, who has such articles and if so, be sure to wear them on Saturday.

2. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

Thanks for bringing my thread over here TT. I know a lot of people that have rituals they go thru on game day. I have a tidefans.com shirt that is undefeated. I did not wear it for the Georgia game because I attended another game with my yankee wife. From now on I will at least wear it under some other attire. You can bet I will have it on when we play LSU. We need all the gris gris we can get.

3. TigerSnipen

TigerSnipen Freshman

I had the same thing

I "had" lucky oufitthat i wore to every game dating aback to last years 6 game winning streak run, I too did not wear the oufit to the va tech game and hence we lost, all my friends blamed me for not wearing the lucky shirt and what not. Well I have worn it to the remainder of the games. Now comes Auburn which makes no sense. I really thought that the oufit was lucky and I thought LSU wouldn't lose when I wear it.. well they did and the shirt has been used to start the BBQ pit after the game. If the superstitions were true then LSU wouldn't have lost that game.. the shirt has seen many many wins but once it sees a loss itsluck has ran out. I say continue to wear your oufit as long as we win because its obviously lucky but one day we will lose when u wear it at that time u need to burn it. :)

Anyway i digress.. lol

:cool: :cool: :cool:

4. TexasTigers

Yes I did steal this from BayouTider on tidefans.com. It was a great subject.

5. TexasTigers

You married a Yankee !!!. Just kidding my wife is from New Mexico. Roswell to be exact (Insert UFO joke here)

6. Hub

Hub Founding Member

GOOD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE.....

I have but many things that have occured that i believe were the "12th man" of the LSU football team or of the visitor:

1) Starting immediately i will no longer go to away games except bowl games. I've been to Va Tech and Auburn this year......blown out. Florida in 96......blown out. Arkansas several years running.....lost. We did win one time i was there but Danny Ford was the coach and i think you could have put a collection of Gerry Faust players out there and gotten a win.

We've won every bowl game i've been to so i will keep going to those.

2) The "infamous" LSU flag - i have gone through several LSU flags through the years all of which seem to deteriorate to kleenex after 1 or 2 seasons. i'm sure everyone has the same problem. Well last year thanksgiving weekend my wife bought me a new flag to retire the nose tissue currently flying above my homestead. being the procrastinator i am i did not retire the flag until the week following the Auburn throttling.....

the SECCG couldn't have been set on a better date.....my family x-mas party all of whom are tiger die-hards. all remember the first half and how many including myself felt "at least we made it to the SECCG" at half someone in my family mentioned something about a flag...don't remember the context what so ever (bourbon influence). it triggered me to remember that i had taken down the flag that had "led" lsu to 8 victories so far that season. i immediately went to the outside garbage (as i mentioned i am the procrastinator) and pulled the gleaming strands and re-hung in place of the new one. we all know the story of the 2nd half dismantling that occured. i have kept that flag ever since. ufnortunately it can't fly b/c the eyes are all ripped out of it. but lays draped in protected area to this day. i've thought about getting it put in some type of plastic to preserve it but i think my wife would have me committed at that point.

3) i've gone through many different game day attires....all of which get downgraded after a loss. my latest wardrobe was 6-0 until Auburn......it is now downgraded. But with the voodoo in the air.....i wonder was it the clothes or b/c i was at the game the reason we lost.

Geaux Tigers and the "12th Man"

7. TexasTigers

Yes Hub, you are no longer allowed to attend road games. !!!!

Your record is inexcusable.

I am glad you told us now, so we can save some future games.

Looks like we have a little support group going on here.

;)

8. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Tex, I dont know if you read my post about my trip to Auburn, but in it I stated that I have NEVER been to an away game we won. I wont travel anymore.

I dont really have a lucky outfit, but I do have an undefeated (in football) baseball jersey. I dont wear it much (during football), though as it is a jersey from a different sport.

9. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

I have a shirt thats on a 5-1 streak, that one loss being the Va. Tech game which I sat right next to Hub,(his curse must have over powered the shirts powers, so I can't blame the shirt). The shirt is the "LSU vs Auburn" issued last year. The games that have been won are: Auburn 2001, SECCG, Citadel, Miami of O, MSU (all of which I attended). I then bought a Purple LSU shirt for the USC game and it brought us victories to USC(attended) and FLA(did not attend). I remember waking up the Sat of the Auburn game and pondering on what shirt to wear. Of course I choose the Purple one and we lost so from now on its going to be the ole "LSU vs Auburn" shirt, in my mind its 5-0, because we all know the one loss is all Hub's fault.

GO TO HELL OLE MISS!!!

10. Bayou Beast

Bayou Beast Freshman

I am glad to know that others out there suffer from this "complex" as my wife calls it. I have noticed a trend with my game day attire. I have a home game outfit and an away game outfit. It took me until last weekend to realize this. I had worn the same t-shirt and hat for every home and away game, except for Florida. Needless to say the Florida outfit will be worn with pride this weekend and stowed away for the next two. I also have a tradition that last year's lucky shirt must be retired from game day at the end of each season.