Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

March Madness

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by Cajun Sensation, Mar 18, 2013.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Veteran Member

Its really this years team, I just dont see it. I will be surprised if they make it in the elite 8.
  2. LSUMASTERMIND

I do have Louisville winning it all, I almost picked Miami but they are streaky, if they get on a run, they could win it all.
  3. mctiger

mctiger Kenny HIlliard, Beast

Thought about Miami, but I just can't buy into them. I haven't picked my bracket yet.
  4. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

My primary bracket has a format that picks each round separately. It's straight up winners until the Sweet 16 and then goes to point spreads. Therefore, the logical thing to do is pick almost all higher seeds for the first weekend.

What are some mild upsets that you feel good about in the Thurs/Fri games? I don't want to pick too many and so far am only going with Iowa St over ND and Minnesota over UCLA.

There are some other wrinkles that make this bracket much more interesting than the typical office pool but probably not worth getting into the details.
  5. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

I know this thread pertains to the NCAA's; how about Kentucky losing to Robert Morris in the NIT...
    VampMuse likes this.
  6. VampMuse

VampMuse Freshman

Was the highlight of my day. Down with Calipari and his bullshit one and done pay players and get the hell out before the hammer comes down destroying programs.
  7. LSUMASTERMIND

i dont think thats a solid logic, the way the selection committee has hijacked the process, it really makes it hard to follow that logic. So many mid majors that big conference teams dont really see during the season, its bound to be some upsets. The problem is most of those mid majors shouldnt be in the tourney.
  8. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Maybe I should have listed all of the details of the bracket because it's a little more complex. There are usually about 100 entries at $100/each. All games during the first weekend are straight up W/L and then you are allowed to buy up to four mulligans at $25/each that remove an L for each mulligan (but you can only tie first place).

Therefore, if you play it safe during the first weekend and do average to above average with the "pickem" type games, you should be either tied for first (after mulligans) or very close. After the first weekend, more than half of the field of 100 is weeded out and the odds of winning increase substantially.

I much prefer this format because every game matters much more than the usual office pool. Who really cares much about an 8/9 matchup in a normal pool when everyone has the winner of that game losing in the next round? Also, picking every round separately allows you to learn more about teams during the tournament.

Anyway, it's all moot because the bar that has been doing this bracket for about 30 years decided to discontinue this year. New manager apparently thought it wasn't worth the hassle. Guess I'll have to go back to the more common format.
  9. LSUMASTERMIND

ok that actually sounds pretty interesting. 100 dollars at 100 entries, im surprised the participation was so high
  10. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

Yeah, getting $20 bucks from the shitcans that I run with is hard enough.