Marcus Randall a blessing in disguise?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by diehardLSUfan, Oct 18, 2002.

1. diehardLSUfan

diehardLSUfan Founding Member

I know I may be going way out in left field with this, but I think Randall may be a blessing in disguise. First, let me clarify that I am not a Mauck hater and I like the guy and what he's done and sorry to see him not playing. However all that being said, what made me nervous about him is the style of offense we use with him. Maybe we were spoiled with Ro and Josh last year but I wondered if we could keep winning using that basic passing and qb option "Nebraska-esque" style of football. I'm hoping that Randall has a strong day of passing and offers Lou Holtz and gang a look they weren't prepared for -- a PASSING attack! If Randall is on with his passing, it will make it that much harder for coach's to figure out how to stop us. Will be at the game and will scream my head off when the Cocks are in the North End Zone!!

GEAUX TIGERS!!

2. TomyDingo

TomyDingo Founding Member

after seeing Marcus throw a perfect deep pass in the spring game (not last year, year before) , i have been a fan of him. I also do not dislike Mauck, because he has really improved and is making some good passes. But I feel that Randall is a more accurate passer.

3. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

HE HAS ALL THE TOOLS

Marcus is going to make people stand up and say WOW Sat night. He has all the tools to be a very good QB at LSU and we are going to see it tomorrow night.

ITS SO LOUD YOUR DEAF

4. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Hmmmm

I think I'm missing something here. I get the feeling that you expect more of a passing game with Randall at the helm now. I beg to differ.

I'm not saying he can't throw the ball but you have 2 QB's with the same style. So why would you change your game plan now?

It's obvious by Jimbo's play calling that the QB this year is NEVER put in a situation/play where he has to make the big play or is counted on to win the game. I think that is intentional..."Just don't hurt us". The scheme is kept simple (1) pass plays designed to not throw into heavy coverage (2) run the football (should've put that first) (3) count on special teams and Defense to set you up with good opportunities. B/c of both QBs athletic ability we have the opportunity to add the tweek of QB draws and option reads.

Early this week on call in shows a lot of fans sounded like they had that "Brook Trout Look" due to the loss of Mauck. I disagree totally. QB is not what makes this offense go. It's O-Line and RBs AND b/c of the 2 QBs ability to run it gives us that xtra tweek that helps out the first 2 (it makes the D-Line think contain first). With Randall having to step in it's the perfect fit....he's athletic just as Mauck....better/worse?....we'll see. Now we could see some timing issues in the passing game due to the lack of playing time but have we had a passing game yet this year? And don't say we did against Florida...Dev's TDs were b/c of him not the QB.....great moves in the open and an incredible adjustment to the ball. Enough to keep them honest designed as i said above.

I'm confident in Randall and that he will do fine. 2 things that bother me (1) hold on to the ball and (2) making the right read on the QB run/handoff option (or whatever the hell they call it). Do that and we don't miss a beat.

We are blessed to have such similar of a starter and back-up QB.

Here's to the Clones!

5. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

Why should it matter if LSU wins by passing or running?

I do not care either way. But I rather see the Tigers play to their strengths instead of trying to please people with fancy passing. Not one run and shoot team has ever won anything on any level. In college, more so than in any other level of football, ball control and physical play win ball games. Miami might look pretty with big passing stats, but Dorsey is just an average QB with 200+ yards rushing coming from RBS who make it a little easier. VTech is undefeated playing the run and controlling the game . . . do you think they care at Vtech if they have great stats or long passes? Of course they don't.

Nebraska has become quite a popular whipping boy, and rightfully so . . . but that doesn't mean they should trash the option and become pass happy. At my count Neb has many more National Titles than LSU. In fact it isn't even close.

All that said I am an LSU fan. I graduated from LSU and still give my support to the school. I do not care how they win, but I rather not see them try to please people by throwing the ball when they are winning by running. How many losses will you accept from turnovers and foolishly trying to force the ball downfield? How happy would you be if LSU only passes for an average of 150 yards but went through the rest of schedule without losing?

Running the ball, passing the ball . . . you shouldn't care as long as the coach gets results.

6. diehardLSUfan

diehardLSUfan Founding Member

Marcus Randall

Well guys the good news is the big question mark I'm sure we all have about Randall will be answered tonight in under 12 hours woohoo!!!! I remember from the Spring game not last year but the year before the passing that Randall was making and it wasn't too shabby. I've always noticed that Randall took on the form and poise of Rohan, almost like his mentor. I'm thinking once Randall gets in the groove, he's gonna be able to do a little more passing wise than Mauck. That's all I'm tryng to say, hell hopefully we'll have a QB controversy with 2 damn good QB's to back each other up. Neither one seems like the kind of guy that would split b/c of not starting. That's what's so great about this team, a bunch of team players. GEAUX TIGERS!!

7. BBF Admin

BBF Admin Guest

Some Marcus Randall Info.

I know many of you were impressed by a few throws you got to see Randall make in the spring game. The Truth is, I doubt there is one media guy (that attends practices) that will not tell you Marcus definitely throws the prettier deep ball.

Every day in Spring, and even early fall when he was limited by his knee injury, Randall consistently out threw the other quarterbacks.

We have to remember that this is only PRACTICE though. It is going to take Randall a few series to settle in tonight, but if he can gain composure, he should do just fine with the supporting cast he has at hand.

Two years ago when Randall came to LSU, I saw him practice for about a week, and from what I saw, I thought he would never be an SEC quarterback, and would eventually move to another position.

The reality is, that Marcus spent that year running LSU's scout team, and in turn, made a ton of improvement because of all of the reps he got.

Since then he has continued to improve. The battle he and Mauck were in during the Spring was much closer that most people know. Mauck always kept a slight lead due to nothing more that the maturity factor.

I have a lot of respect for this guy. When he came here he was a terrible passer, but through hard work he has turned himself into a guy that can both run and throw the football.

If he can get some confidence early, this kid could be dangerous, ala Herb Tyler. Herb never had to beat anybody with his arm, and Marcus shouldn't have to either, but he can throw the football.

I for one am pretty excited about him getting his chance to shine.

8. msully

msully Founding Member

LSU is not like Nebraska we do not have the the players for that at least I do not think so , I do like the option but it is with the pass is off the run a win is all I want tonite GEAUX TIGERS!!! GEAUX TIGERS !!! msully said that you hear