Martin

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by shaqazoolu, Feb 22, 2010.

1. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

I'm in New York City pretty close to Times Square until Wednesday. What should I eat while I'm here?

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

i am kinda white trash and do not make an effort to go to fancy restaurants or know the best places.

tonight go to 24 west 56th Street, joe's shanghai. order one thing and one thing only, pork soup dumplings. i am 100 certain you will love them. i will be a few blocks away drinking at the mean fiddler, because i know you are anti-social i can say that without fear of any awkward meetings.

3. shaqazoolu

I don't drink either so you are doubly safe. My cousin also told me to check out Carnegie Deli...thoughts?

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

i have never been there, i have only seen the stuff on food network about it. apparently they try to win some record by stacking ludicrous amounts of pastrami on rye. not that exciting but might be good i guess. tell me if you like it.

let me re-emphasize that you should go to joe's shanghai. love that place. pretty cheap too. i know you like eating challenges. i am planning to go there soon and eat 20 dumplings. they are filled with soup, and you put them into a deep spoon and poke a hole in them and drink the soup and then eat the rest. you must eat them.

a few blocks from you is two boots pizza. the two "boots" in the name mean italy and louisiana. so they have like cajun/italian toppings on pizza, i like it. it is on 9th round 44ish. "hells kitchen". but forget all other places and proceed to joe's.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

In my experience the best New York cuisine boils down to:

1. Street hot dogs -- they do this right.

2. Deli sandwiches -- hard to find better reubens or pastrami.

3. Italian -- New York has above average Italian restaurants . . . lots of them.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

forget the street hot dogs, get the chicken kabobs.

also of late i have noticed a tremendous increase in the amount of corner churro sales. if you see a little latina woman on the corner with a plastic box full of churros, give her a dollar and get two churro sticks in a paper bag, they rule. say "gracias, mami", they love that.

7. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

Seeing a thread named Martin and with all of this purple color made me think of an unimaginative new avatar for Martin:

View attachment 13136

8. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Purple Martin gumbo !!!!

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Carmine's. I think it's on 44th about a block west of Broadway.

10. shaqazoolu

Good call on the soup dumplings. They were delightful.