Matt Flynn rumor..........OU bound??

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TN Tiger, Nov 15, 2006.

1. TN Tiger

TN Tiger Founding Member

This may have already been posted, but just in case.....

A friend of mine, who is a big OU supporter, claims that Matt Flynn will be a Sooner next year. He claims that since he has already graduated he can take advantage of the new NCAA transfer rule, and has been in conact with the Sooners. Anyway, just a rumor......I hope!

2. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

I can see this if JR doesn't go pro but, he'll probably start for the Tigers next year anyway.

3. tigerpub

tigerpub Founding Member

Don't know if it's true, but I hope good things happen for him.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

If JR returns for his senior year it wouldn't suprise me & I would understand the decision. But this is still most likely BS.

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I don't think it's a given. I believe if JR leaves it will be opened up to MF and RP. I believe Flynn would have a huge advantage with game experience but as good as Perrilloux is, anything could happen.

I con't see Flynn passing up a chance to be on a National Championship team to go play for OU when, under the worse case scenario, would be- God forbid- one play away (injury) from being the starter. I could be wrong though. Maybe one year as a starter at OU would give him a lot of added value in the draft.

I hope he stays......it's admirable that he and RP- as good as they are- have been "Team players" and are waiting their turn when they could start at almost any other college.

What a good problem we have, having 3 top notch quarterbacks!

6. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

I know this is all speculation, but:

Wouldn't it really suck if JR went pro, and if Flynn has things already in progress, he goes too? OU QBs have pretty good opportunities to pass the ball and win Heismans, so I wonder if he has already made up his mind. Then, if both of these guys leave, we'll have a very, very, inexperienced core of QBs, kinda like 2004... just a thought.

7. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Yeah, that crossed my mind too. I know there's no substitute for game expeience but I still like our chances if we'd be left with only RP. At least he'll have a little game experience (even though it was mop up time) and two years in the system. Not as bad as if he was fresh out of HS. We'll be o.k. :thumb:

8. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

I would not put much stock in that rumor. I think Matt will be a Tiger next year regardless of what JR does.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

First of all, Russell is going to the NFL. Book it.

That leaves the senior Flynn and the sophomore Perilloux to fight for the start in the spring. Flynn has a very good chance to win that fight again, he did it last spring. I just don't see Flynn leaving or even discussing leaving before that time. He's hung in here for a long time and if he wins the battle and can start his senior year at LSU, that is what he'll do.

If Perilloux wins the battle, THEN Flynn might try to transfer next summer to get some senior year playing time and a long-shot for an NFL opportunity ala Craig Nall. He would be foolish to go to a school that has another quarterback battle to win. The smart play would be to go to a school where he can walk in and start game one.

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

From his perspective, would you rather be one freak play away from being the starter on a very good team, or be the starter for a pretty good team? Assuming he would succeed at OU, it would boost his draft stock a whole lot.