Mauck article

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by nuttie, Nov 19, 2003.

1. nuttie

nuttie Founding Member

2. Peach

Peach Freshman

Another year?

Quote:
    "Mauck will also graduate in December, but he still has a year of eligibility, which means he has some tough decisions to make soon.

Mauck passed the examination for dental school last month, so the question is, will he keep drilling receivers or begin drilling teeth?"

Could/Would Mauck really consider returning for another year? How would that work with him not actually being an undergrad at LSU?

3. jeffoxiam

jeffoxiam Founding Member

I don't think there is any real difference for him besides classes. You get 4 years of eligibility as long as you are attending the school. I know ga tech had a grad student qb a few years ago.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Re: Another year?

I think it works that as long as a player is enrolled even as a grad student he is eligible as long as he has not used up his eligibility. Peyton Manning graduated from Tennessee before he completed his eligibility but he was able to return as a senior for his 4th playing year. I know that others have done the same.

I really hope that Mauck plays next year. Even if JaMarcus Russell or Matt Flynn turns out to be everything they were cracked up to be it would be better for them and for LSU to be worked into the QB role gradually while the experienced Mauck starts. Mauck will be 25 next year. He has the rest of his life to fill cavities but 2004 will be his last year to play football for one of the leading contenders for the National Championship. I can't see him passing that up.

5. SpringTiger

SpringTiger Founding Member

6. ramah

ramah Founding Member

I can't see him passing up a final year at LSU, either.
    But, for the following reasons.
    1. This kid MAY BE PRO material, albeit only a tad above 6'2" & 220 lbs, and is the coolest customer we've had at LSU for awhile. Watch how much Jason White (will win Heisman ... doesn't deserve it) gets in the next draft. They are similar.
    2. Who'll be ahead of him next year in the major college FB? Don't White, Rivers, Symons, Manning & Roberson all graduate? He & Matt Leinart of USC should be the top rated QBs in Div 1 FB next year and on everyone's preseason Heisman list. Saban would never openly promote him for it, it's not in his TEAM religion, though he would tolerate back-burner press.
    1. Jason White, Okla.----------------->174.4------------>SR
    2. Philip Rivers, NC St.---------------->169.8------------>SR
    5. Matt Leinart, SoCal---------------->164.1------------------------>SO
    10. B.J. Symons, Tex Tech------------->155.0----------->SR
    11. Ell Roberson, Kan St.-------------->154.8----------->SR
    12. Matt Mauck, LSU-------------------->154.1---------------------->JR
    16. Eli Manning, Mississippi------------>149.8---------->SR

Mauck looks to have an NFL career, even if as a backup that would make him a millionaire again overnight. But, like Mauck said, "It's what others think". I think a chance of a $million$ contract is worth a 1 year risk.

He'd be crazy not to try ... and spend the rest of his life wondering ... what if. This kid is not that type of person.

If LSU wins the SEC, Mauck will return ... sure thing. I'd bet the farm on it.

7. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Originally posted by jeffoxiam:

"I don't think there is any real difference for him besides classes. You get 4 years of eligibility as long as you are attending the school. I know ga tech had a grad student qb a few years ago."

There isn't. Peyton Manning played his final year at Tennessee as a grad student. Closer to home, Collis Temple III actually played his final TWO years as a grad student (earning his Master's during year 3, beginning work on his Doctorate in year 4).

The problem Matt might have would be the fact that he's going to
    DENTAL school, which is down here in New Orleans. It would make things awfully difficult for him, re: practice and such.

8. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

Mauck has a kid?? is that part an error?