Maurice Clarrett eligible for NFL draft

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mesquite tiger, Feb 5, 2004.

1. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/7065027

This is after an article yesterday on ESPN.com stating the "friend" he is widely associated with is also a renown gambler who made quite a few calls to a gambling service over seas during Ohio State's National Championship run two years ago. Could Clarrett have been point shaving?

I hope no NFL team drafts him.

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

But you know the NFL will draft him. Character is not a concern to them.

3. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Yeah, but it could be a developing issue, a la Keyshawn. Seems as though Gruden has set the stage for having enough. I anticipate other coaches to follow and start sitting some players down for horrendous, embarrassing behavior.

4. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

I hope the NFL appeals and drags this out until after the draft or until this guy gets arrested and put in jail.

Even if this ruling stands I hope the NFL finds a way to rewrite the requirements to be based on something else besides age that will basically do the same thing and grandfather in current players and maybe even current college players.

5. dallastigers

I wonder how many freshman, sophomores, and high schoolers are going to try and use this to try to enter this years draft.

6. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

it is really ashame because the kid is very talented, but he is a bad apple. he will end up in a lot of trouble in the NFL, on the road 8 games a year without any real kerfew or supervision.

this is a failed experiment in my opinion. look for Tagliuabu to appeal immediately and then "strongly recommend" that no teams draft Clarett if the appeals are denied.

7. dallastigers

If the appeal is denied Tagliuabu will not be able to recommend not drafting him, because unless he gets drafted #1 he can blame anything less than this or not being drafted at all on collusion by the NFL owners and management and sue them for it.

8. tigerlaw

tigerlaw Founding Member

Chances are the appeal will fail. It's not a rule that has stood up to scrutiny in the federal court system. That's why high school players can be drafted in basketball and baseball. It was only a matter of time until football followed.

9. gunwoady

gunwoady Founding Member

I wish the rule only applied to Clarett b/c I don't want to see any more players short of Junior Status leaving. That said, it's hard to keep a man from earning a paycheck.

10. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

I don't know. If they want him, they get him and all the baggage that goes with him.

I personally like how college baseball handles it. Either go as an incoming freshman, or play three years at the collegiate level and then go. No reason the NFL couldn't open up like that. You never see any significant challenges in the baseball arena and the players are given more opportunity to make a decision.