May 16th

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Apr 5, 2011.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

debt ceiling will be reached (damn that kind of sounds like a goal) by May 16th. Democrats say 33 billion will suffice for now. As a matter of fact the GOP's original bill was to cut 32 billion. Not enough says the Tea Party. Apparently a 4 trillion dollar cut bill will be introduced today.

I doubt it will get past the senate, so don't be shocked if we have a government shutdown.

On another note, yesterday, the first Republican decided to throw his hat into the 2012 Presidential Race. Well, he would have been considered a Republican in the Reagan years, his name. Barack Obama.

2. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Cut it or Shut it.

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

lil harsh there bucko? i mean, i know part of it is the same thing as a billion other posts, maybe even a trillion, depending on how it's calculated. hell, in practically every thread, we know what is gonna happen. lasalle is gonna bash conservatives, sf and red are gonna argue till no one remembers the original subject, you are gonna say pubs and dems are all the same and the paul's are gods, martin is gonna say something about religion.

but the subject of a continuing budget resolution and possible government shut down is a very legit subject. and one i am interested in. i have a husband who is facing furlough without pay. once again, a lot of people who are the ones who actually keep this government running are gonna have to go without pay, while the jackasses fight instead of compromise. what i want to know, is will those jackasses get their pay checks?

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I just wish they would come to some agreement. I know I will probably get roasted on here for saying this, but Bill Maher has got it right. And I actually like the fact that the Republican guy from Wisconsin, Rep Ryan, has the balls to go after Medicare. Maher on his show had a plate of food. Seen here.

[​IMG]

and what you can't see is a few peas, a few carrots, some parsley, a turnip, a radish, and a few other small items.

Rep Ryan, while I don't agree with his ideas, is on the right track, and I am glad to see someone is finally wanting to cut spending in one of those 3 areas. Now, what I would love to see, is defense spending cut by a couple trillion, and we have ourselves a ball game.

I'm sorry but a shutdown isn't good for anyone.

5. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Those jackasses should also get cuts in pay. Every job they don't get rid of should take a cut. The Govt. is bloated with too many jobs with too much pay.

It is unfortunate for your husband and I wish him and yourself the best but every job has a risk.

And yes pubs and democrats are the same. And no the Paul's are not gods. But they do have some nice ideas.

The Govt is OUT OF MONEY, unless they borrow. Shut it down and cut whatever you can to stop the bleeding.

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

In the past furloughed federal employees get their back pay. So it only sucks in the short term for you guys. At the end of the day your husband just gets a sweet paid vacation. But that won't pay the bills today. Hope you have something to insulate you from a prolonged shutdown.

My job is on the chopping block because the program that funds my job is going to be cut. So the agency is crambling to find a place to allocate about 90 % of my salary. If they can't I'm down to 4 hours a week. Lots of folks are in my situation. I guess it is kind of a blessing. My position shouldn't be funded by this program because it is unrelated.

I have a few things lined up if push comes to shove, but I am looking at a bit of a pay cut probably no matter what. It might be worth it if I can get out of gubment.

7. OkieTigerTK

yes, those jackasses should take pay cuts, and give up the bennies.

yes, it does. and the agency my husband works for is very small. and to get smaller, has cut over the years through attrition. they are a fairly young agency, being a separate branch of the dod. there was a division of what used to be a separate entity in each of the armed branches of defense. those branches were combined into one seperate agency under the dod, with a lot of jobs cuts at that time, so that there was one agency instead of duplication of work in each of the separate armed services. after that, over the years, the agency has streamlined through attrition.

in just this one area, govt could be streamlined more if agencies would quit protecting fiefdoms. it worked in the dod, and it can work in others.

i disagree with a shut down. government has to keep running, and it is these people that do it. there are every day services where the public is going to be effected. have a snafu in your ss check? need to get a ss card for your child so you can claim them on taxes? sorry, no ssa offices are open, and no one to answer the phones to help. filed your taxes and waiting on a much needed refund check? sorry, no one to process the paperwork or cut the checks. sure they will get back to work sooner or later, and good luck waiting in the backlog.

a shut down isnt good for anyone. find a compromise to make an initial cut, and keep working at it. a shut down is shirking responsibility. the work is gonna be there when people get back. it is gonna be a cluster phuck, and in many cases will be a hardship for the average citizen.

8. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

Either do the right thing and cut the spending to sustainable levels, or just raise the debt ceiling to 4 quadrillion dollars and bankrupt the entire world. I'm done with the immature bickering in congress.

9. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Kind of how I feel. I hate political posturing. It's so annoying.

I've actually changed my position on this. I initially felt like a government shutdown would be disastrous and we couldn't allow it to happen. As much as I hate to give Rex credit for anything,:thumb: he's right on this one. Congress only reacts to disasters and crises. So we can either have a mini crisis now and get some real cuts, or we can cut a token 20B and ignore the problem only to make it larger. It is evident that our leaders can't come to a meaningful solution without a crisis so let's get some meaningful answers and shut this bastard down for a while. Let's default and go without some services. Obviously some of us need a wake up call.

And while I haven't read much about Ryan's plan, I at least appreciate the fact that he's willing to step out and committ political suicide to propose a plan that has a reasonable end game. Our gutless president won't do it, so at least someone will.

10. OkieTigerTK

a good basic look at what a govt shutdown means to the average citizen....

What a government shutdown means to you - Yahoo! News

also, an article on how a shutdown, if lengthy, could but the economy back into a recession..

News from The Associated Press

food for thought.