Miami Herald Sports Writer Disses LSU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BhamTigerFan, Feb 10, 2004.

1. BhamTigerFan

BhamTigerFan Freshman

According to the Birmingham News sports section, Miami Herald Sportswriter GREG COTE wrote the following, "BCS football champion Louisiana State showed a graduation rate of 29% this season despite a demanding entrance exam in which players were required to spell L-S-U."

Who is this guy and what institution of higher learning, if any, did he graduate from and what was his GPA. Are sportswriters scholarly resumes so full of academic prestige as to give them the background from which they can cast dispersions against other universities? Maybe tiger fans should enlighten this GOOBERHEAD!!! [email protected]

2. LSUfan636

LSUfan636 Founding Member

Here is my e-mail to him.......I saw your article about LSU. I have a question, and be honest, what is Miami's graduation rate? And does everyone in Miami also think Kellen Winslow is a soldier?

Oh yeah,
    GEAUX TIGERS! NATIONAL CHAMPIONS 2003!!!

3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Maybe someone should show him Sabans team from last year, where only 2 players had a GPA of less then a 2.0.

Or the fact the many players on the SEC all academic list.

4. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

I know of no such entrance exam to get into LSU. I just filed an application and was accepted.

Of course, hate to brag, but my qualifications were far above the minimum standards. I understand it's not always this way with athletes.

And stats can be deceiving. The grad stats shown for last year were for the incoming recruiting class of 1997. The "height" of the Gerry DiNardo era. Need I remind you what kind of student-athletes (and I'll use that term loosely) we were recruiting back then?

Two years ago, both our football and overall athletic graduation rates were above 60% and second only to Vanderbilt in the conference. But those were mostly Curley Hallman recruited players. Say what you want about Curley, but he recruited good kids and made sure they graduated.

Give the grad rate three years, and I promise you it will go way, way up. Coach Saban is VERY serious about the players taking care of business in the classroom, and with two Academic All-Americans last year, it's showing.

5. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

I'm just glad I didn't have to take that test to get in. I might not be here today.

6. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Didnt all of us have to take a test to get in. Its called the ACT ???

7. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Yes, but the ACT is not LSU's entrance exam, it's a national test.

He speaks of an entrance exam by LSU, for LSU.

And to my knowledge we don't have that.

So I think the guy's pretty much full of crap.

8. Ectopic Tiger

Ectopic Tiger Founding Member

Actual numbers:

LSU 40%
    UM 49%

Not enough of a difference to brag about. If there are no good stories to report, let's just make one up.

9. Let make one up and try demean someone else in the process. That guy is a piece of trash.

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I think he's extremely jealous.

Look at the way we beat them in the CWS.

They haven't been quite the same in football lately either.

Miami Hurricanes are a bunch of has beens.......