Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Michael Sam's First Game

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by Bengal B, May 11, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

3. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

it was funny
  4. locoguano

locoguano Fear the Beard.

Took him a whole day to say he would have been a 1-3 round pick if he wasn't gay. Maybe in Canada, bro.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

SEC Defensive Players of the Year draft positions: Glenn Dorsery #5, Rolando Blackman #8 Patrick Peterson #5 Morris Claiborne #6 Jadaveon Clowney (2012) #1 CJ Mosely #17 Michael Sam #250
  6. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

When he initially announced he was gay, I recall a few of the draft "experts" saying that he wouldn't be drafted on Thursday but would probably be selected on Friday (2nd-3rd round). Now, it seems like the consensus is that he wasn't athletic enough to be drafted in the first few rounds.

I don't know enough of the detail to speculate if his combine and Pro Day workouts dropped him, those couple of draft experts I initially heard were just wrong, or if teams factored in his lifestyle.

In looking at Bengal B's list of past SEC Defensive POY, it does seem odd that he'd fall that far.
  7. locoguano

locoguano Fear the Beard.

8. islstl

islstl Occupy the BCS

It's pretty close to accurate. They had him drop to the 4th to 6th rounds after the combines.

Then he almost doesn't get drafted. So the truth lies somewhere in between his tweener size and lack of athletic ability to him being gay as to where he ended up.
  9. uscvball

uscvball Veteran Member

He is average in nearly every way. Average doesn't get you drafted very high. He had an average combine, he has average speed, arm length, strength. He was almost last in bench at the combine among all DE's. His pro day was better, but just a little. AFTER pro day, this was the comment I read, "Sam is pegged to be picked in the lower rounds of the NFL draft, if at all, much lower than fellow defensive end Kony Ealy."

Frankly, if a team (or several of them) decided to also weigh the drama his gayness brings to the locker room, that's their prerogative, just like many teams and one in particular, overlooked Clowney's assclowniness.

My question would be, based on Bengal B's list, how did Sam get to be the SEC DPOY?
    tirk likes this.
  10. old school

old school Freshman

I guess no one can say with certainty how much his being openly gay cost him in draft position and contract money, but it didn't help. With as much time and effort as NFL teams spend researching their picks I think it would have been uncovered by most teams that he was gay so maybe that is one factor which led to him going public. I don't think the on air coverage of him crying and kissing his boyfriend when he was drafted will help him bond with the guys on the team. "Not that there is anything wrong with that!"