Minimum Wage increase passes the House

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CParso, Jul 31, 2006.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Suprised this hasn't been posted yet...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/07/28/minimumwage.ap/index.html

:angryfire :angryfire

But I think either the Senate will kill this bill, or W will veto it.

2. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

It boggles the mind sometimes. I used to vote Republican even if I had no clue as to whom the person was.....say for Family Court judge or something. These Congressmen aren't conservatives.........I don't know what they are.

My old question about the minimum wage is: If they are trying to create some ficticious "living wage" crap.....why stop at $7.25? Why not make the minimum wage $27 an hour? $100 an hour? Cause it's all for show that's why and they know it........where they come from Santa Claus is going to come down and pay everyone a $100 an hour.......weeeeeeee......

3. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

this sucks. its nice to get a better paycheack but, id rather have a job

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

oh sweet now illegals will have better job opportunities because you can pay them whatever you want. fire the americans!

5. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

They did this purely because the Republicans are trying to save face for the november elections. They ended up attaching the estate tax repeal to it so they know that the dems will get enough republicans to cross over in the senate to vote it down. I'm in no real worry about this actually passing the senate and even if it does, like Parso said I think Dubya will pull out the veto again.

6. USMTiger

USMTiger Founding Member

It's amazing to see that the only difference between the two parties has become foreign policy.

By foreign policy I mean you only support the wars started by people of your own party.

7. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

Just think back to being 16 again. You have a car that you have to put gas in at a rate of $3 per gallon (3.30 where I live) and your first job washing dishes, mowing lawns or whatever is now going to pay you an extra $2/hour.

Still think it sucks?

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Yes. Personal ignorance does not excuse bad economic policy.

9. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

So, as a teenager at a minimum wage job, you wouldn't like more money?

That's dumb.

Also, from a big picture economic standpoint it's lining the pockets of consumers.

If an illegal can do your job, you probably haven't spent enough time developing a valuable skill set for the marketplace.

10. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Yeah, just think of a 16 year old with no education and no skills making $7.25 an hour. But don't worry, small businesses hiring those 16 year olds will simply stop hiring a few of them to make up this extra cost.

Gotta love more government intervention b/c people are too lazy to get an education and acquire some skills worthy of making more than $5.

Yeah, it sucks big time...