Morals

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CParso, May 4, 2005.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

maybe my god message receptors are broken, but lots of things seem fine to me that christians consider immoral. besides, christians cant even agree on what god has told them is immoral. gambling for example, some christians love it, others think it is immoral. why cant god be a little more clear on it?

2. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

I pointed out the morality issues that need legislation, it's not muddy at all RED. Any issue, crime or action that involves the safety of others and/or hinders their pursuit of happiness, is harmful to the promotion of the general welfare, or is harmful to providing for the common defense, ..... is something the government has a right.... NO an obligation to it's citizens to pass legislation on. It's a litmus test. if I diecide I have the right to shoot people, does this harm anyone? yes, hence Murder is illegal. Should gays be allowed to marry? not as easy? well does it harm anyone? opinions can be given both ways. IF the majority thinks there is something harmful that could come from it, then it will be opposed.

When a law is passed that allows some moral decay, we all suffer the consequences and it takes some time for society to absorb and re-learn this, then the pendullum starts to swing back the other way.

Generally, a moral nation, is a healthier nation. Don't take my word for it look back in History. check out the roaring 20's when a lapse of morality temporarily took the public sentiment. The decade was not a very good one economically...........check out the 50's when morality was at it's highest in recent history for this nation, The economy was pretty stable, safety for citizens was fairly high. How does all this tie in with morality? I don't know but it does. Everyone profits when safety for citizens as a GROUP is a high concern. No one profits when fringe groups set the aqgenda, indeed the whole suffers.

I just used that as an example to show one issue that people are torn on lately because it's a moral issue. People that THINK they are taking the high ground by giving every fringe group, or making the criminal a victim, etc... are doing the general society as a whole an injustice. enlightenment and freedom are often the clcoak used to promote something that is actually harmful to society.

We aren't communists, but we still have to promote the general welfare. Even if it means one fringe group or individual's rights are NOT held in highest regard. We can't please everyone. At some point the overall group has to outweigh the rights of the individual.

We just need to find a happy medium as a society. Unfortunately, greed entires in..aka politics, and people don't always learn from history. Fringe politics pays more. You create a mulitude of different constituents that support you and your effort to further their cause. but eventually it will catch up with them, you can't look after a few and ignore the needs of the whole.

doomed to repeat the past? probably so. :shock:

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

i dont really agree with jsracing's post above, but it seems like he has attended writing classes and really improved his skills.

4. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

Martin, I'm the same guy I've always been. Here's the thing though, I don't really agree with passing laws on the basis of "what does God say?"

I'd say pass a law for or agaisnt gambling based on the level of harm it does. is it harmful? if it is then how harmful? can it be regulated? is it something that the individual can choose to particpate in? What does the Majority say? In 20 years will we find out it WAS harmful and ban it everywhere? they tried that with booze during prohibition and it didn't work. BUT drunk drivers kill LOTS of people every year. There has to be a general consesnus about what degree of harm it does to the population. Laws need to be passed on this TEST not what a gay activist wants or a Hell brim fire preacher wants.
    My point is this.... Legislatures and electected officials used to do this. or so i thought. Now it's whoever can BUY their services.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Does this mean you only view things from a radical perspective? What is hard to understand?

There is no universal right and wrong where morality is concerned. Morality is a broader concept than Law, which is black & white. Gray areas definitely exist and people draw the line in different places.

To one man abortion is murder, to another it is just a medical procedure. Murder is against the law, everybody agrees. But they don't always agree on what constitutes murder.

6. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

It is hard to understand why people don't choose sides. It is hard to understand why people don't stick to their guns. It is hard to understand the viewpoint of fence-sitters.

This is only true if God is dead. Otherwise, there are definite rights and wrongs.

Ask a woman who has aborted a child how she feels after the procedure. I really am finding it hard not to get upset here.

7. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Yesterday, the Texas House of Representatives voted 65-56 to pass a bill by Rep. Al Edwards, D-Houston, which will outlaw overtly sexually suggestive cheerleading. Now, it's on to the Senate where the going is expected to be tough. "Satan is not just going to let you walk over and get something", said Edwards. He says his bill strikes a blow for standards in a society that is generally opposed to morality.

So there ya go.....one man's answer to the decline of morals in America. These are the same guys who are deciding on what to do with my taxes.
    I'm scared.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

definitely concur, martian.

damn it, now you tell me.

is it me or does most every post of red's seems like he posted something he just searched on google then vanilla'd it into his own opinion?

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Obviously there are more than two sides. Some choose a moderate one.

Moderates also stick to their guns.

Why? The perspective is unmatched from there. I'll give you a better metaphor. I find it hard to understand why extremists bounce along in the left or right ditch when moderates easily drive in the middle of the road.

If morality equals religion in your world, that explains why you don't understand. I think religion and morality are two distinct concepts.

I have done so. Have you? A very good friend of mine had complications and an abortion probably saved her life. A cousin had one in her teens that she later regretted. There are shades of gray, even if you can't see them.

This is a forum for discussion. If the opinions of anonymous internet characters upset you, maybe you should take up golf.

10. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

There is no moderate side. In morality, there is a right side and a wrong side.

When they aren't blowing in the wind...which is rare.

Standing up for what is right never results in smooth sailing. I'll gladly accept what comes.

It's not about practicing ritual to please God (religion). It's about trusting God (faith) to teach the difference between right and wrong and having the wisdom and strength of character to know the difference.

An abortion that saves the life of the mother does not in my mind constitute evil. An abortion by someone who doesn't want to have a child does. I consider one opinion right and the other wrong. I do not respect other opinions. The line is clearly defined.

My wife is a result of an unplanned pregnancy. Without going into further detail, I could see how many people might consider abortions in the case of her conception. However, I wouldn't be enriched by her life!

There are no gray areas. There are rights and wrongs.

Are you a person or an anonymous internet character?

Golf sucks.