Most dominant SEC Dynasty

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jetstorm, Jul 18, 2004.

?

Which SEC sports program dynasty is/was the most dominant in it's sport?

1. Alabama Crimson Tide, football 1971-81 (three national titles, won or shared nine SEC titles)

23 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. Kentucky Wildcats, men's basketball (7 national titles, have won or shared 41 SEC championships all-

12 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. Tennessee Lady Vols, women's basketball (6 national titles, 15 Final Fours, 13 SEC titles since 1980

7 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. LSU Tigers, baseball 1986-2004 (5 national titles, 13 CWS berths, 8 SEC titles)

22 vote(s)
    22.7%
  5. LSU Tigers & Lady Tigers, track and field 1987-2004 (27 team national titles, 16 team SEC titles)

27 vote(s)
    27.8%
  6. Florida Gators, football 1991-2000 (one national title and six SEC titles)

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  7. Other

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

The discussion about Pat Henry and his amazing record as track and field coach here got me to thinking about this question. His record was quite impressive. But of all the sports team/programs in the SEC which have risen to dominate their sports and become dynasties, is LSU track and field really the best. I mean, there are some pretty accomplished programs on that list. What do ya'll think?

2. UT88-92

UT88-92 Freshman

I can't believe I am gonna say this. But based on your choices I would have to say the Alabama years that you listed. Those teams were tough on both sides of the ball and even back then, it was hard to win in the SEC. A close second would have to be LSU in baseball. Obviously I am a UT fan and think Pat Head Summit is a class act, but the Reason there have been so few Dominatating teams in that sport is the numbers are not there and focus to have too many GREAT players. Thus the big schools get the few that are truly great athletes. Tennessee was just smart to cater to that sport early enough to get a name and establish a large pool of talent. So for the to few great athletes in this sport that are out there, they have a small pool of schools to go to and win. UT just happens to be one of them.

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

UT88 you're partially correct but I think for the last several years there has been a lot of talent in women's basketball as the sport grown quite a bit and the Lady Vols are always in the mix for a national title and have dominated the SEC, so I'll give your girls a little more credit. All of these programs have been pretty dominate and you would have to add UGA in Tennis and Auburn in swimming & diving too.

4. Shadeauxcaster

Shadeauxcaster Founding Member

I voted Alabama because of DEGREE of domination

Had to Agree with that Orange Fella on this one. Kentucky Basketball under Rupp was close, but for sheer weight of domination I have to say it was the Bear Bryant coached Alabama football team.

Charlie Mac had some really good teams in that era as well, seemed like for several years in a row LSU and Alabama would meet, both undefeated, LSU leading the nation in Defense against the rush, and the Tigers would be right there until about halfway through the 3rd quarter, something would happen and suddenly LSU was behind, game over.

And LSU would not be worth a flip the rest of the season.

5. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

How can anyone say anything other than LSU track? You know you have a dynasty when people dont even notice anymore if you win the NC, only if you dont.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

What you have to take into account is the fact that in Track you can win 4 titles per year (indoor/outdoor as well as mens/womens). So take the 27 and divide by 4 and you roughly have 7 titles in that time, in order to equate it to other sports that can only win 1 title per year. Looking at it this way, I voted for LSU baseball. Track was a close 2nd.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Btw, the "Other" category will be replaced by LSU football 2001-2010, with 3 NCs and 7 SEC Championships

8. Razorrichard

Razorrichard Freshman

Missed one

Would 39 national championships qualify for a dynasty? If my math is right, 39 is more than 27. So Arkansas's track and field isn't the most dominant dynasty in the SEC. But all of sports. Thanks John McDonnell!!!

9. LSUfballfan11

LSUfballfan11 Freshman

I was debating between Track and Field and Alabama and I went with Alabama.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Tough one. But I think nobody has dominated their sport like Tennessee Womens basketball for as long as they have. But Skip's domination of the CWS during the 90's is damn close..