NBA refs

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by LaSalleAve, May 25, 2010.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Ok, NBA refs are almost the worst in the world. Right behind SEC officials. I heard something the other night that i thought was crazy. I think it was game 2 in Los Angeles against Phoenix. The 3 officials that called that game, Ed Malloy, Joe Crawford, and Duke Callahan are all from Cardinal O'Hara High School in PA. Coincidentally the same high school that Tim Donaghy attended. :huh:

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I heard about that a plus more that would make your head spin in his book. Here are some of the major excerpts from the book.

Excerpts From The Book The NBA Doesn't Want You To Read

3. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I read alot of that book, they are the worst imo. Another reason why Stern should go, he did nothing about this problem, didnt even appear to really care to investigate the allegations.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The day David Stern is out of the NBA should be declared a national holiday.

5. bhelmLSU

I did too and I agree. He doesn't want to investigate too deep because it all starts with him. No one can tell me that if refs are doing these things that they don't get orders to call games certain ways either. It is all about money and matchups in the playoffs and finals determine how successful and profitable each year is for the most part.

Is it a coincidence that the Lakers and Celtics are two teams in the some of the largest media markets in country with All-Stars (All-star treatment) are going to the finals without much competition throughout the entire playoffs? Probably this year because they are loaded and playing the best ball but that doubt in the back of fans minds is going to cripple the NBA if nothing is done.

6. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Youre better than that.

Most teams have large TV markets. That is why they have teams there.

7. bhelmLSU

You left out the rest of that post... Don't be so sensitive. :hihi:

I said they were the best two teams but that doubt that the NBA refs and Stern are creating in all phases will cripple the NBA if nothing is done.

8. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

No it wont. Black helicopter fans make up about 0.000006% of the market. Nobody cares enough to quit watching. As soon as a team is winning again -- their fans are back watching. Small markets have good teams, and will continue to have good teams.

9. bhelmLSU

Neilson ratings tell an entirely different story. Ratings for the regular season and finals have been terrible since 2005. Last year's finals recorded a 8.4. That is almost less than half compared to all years between 1982-2002. Will we ever see the likes of an 14-18 rating of fan viewership again? I have serious doubts considering viewership over the last 7 years.

You can see that Stern has quite a task on his hands and they won't be fixed anytime soon. So basically they are already taking on a slight limp or even crippled at this point and what happens over the next 5 or so years will be very important to get the NBA back to what it used to be.

10. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

I was mainly talking about the whole season...which needs someone other than Stern leading it, but is still doing well even with some major markets struggling.

However, I do agree with you. And part of that is because they have months between games. But it is mainly because Larry, Magic, and Michael retired. TV has changed a lot...but basketball games still lead nightly programming. For example these are the cable ratings from May 3-9: